Clutch Clutch Cable Broke !

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by dr_clabo, May 15, 2007.

1. dr_clabo

dr_clabo Guest

Clutch Cable Broke !

Only have used the rig about 2 weeks or less and perhaps only a dozen times !

I thought that the angle for which the cable connected at the bottom looked somewhat acute from the factory.

Should I change the angle?
    What is the experiences of the seasoned pros around here?

As always, thanks in advance,
    ~DC~

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

the smaller the angle, the easier it is for the cable to move (easier to squeeze as well)
    the larger the curves (radii) anywhere on a cable, the easier the motion

p.s. you can use a bicycle brake cable as replacement (cheaper as well)

3. dr_clabo

dr_clabo Guest

the smaller the angle, the easier it is for the cable to move (easier to squeeze as well)
    the larger the curves (radii) anywhere on a cable, the easier the motion

As enlightening and as appreciated as that above was, perhaps the pic below will better outline the problem.

And, perhaps generate a detailed experience from a user.
    There is but little clearance for adjustment on these and I simply left the factory setting.
    Anybody else tinker or adjust the angle?
    Anybody break a cable within days or weeks?

Let me know.....
    ~DC~

[​IMG][/i]

4. azbill

azbill Active Member

yup, turning it will lessen angle (straight)
    a cable will generally not break from any pulling pressure,
    but rubbing or sideways pressure will usually do it

hope that helps a little 8)

5. dr_clabo

dr_clabo Guest

yup, turning it will lessen angle (straight)
    a cable will generally not break from any pulling pressure,
    but rubbing or sideways pressure will usually do it

OK, I see. So yes, your's did need to be adjusted - correct?

How long before your cable broke, I would like to know?

Did you get even a week of use before requiring coming up with the above solution?

Thanks,
    ~DC~

6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

since you asked for this info...

during original install, i did slightly adjust the angle of the adjuster for "best fit" & even with that it still leaves a fairly sharp angle on the cable coming out and to the clutch-arm.

that said, tho...i better not be jinxing myself here...i have 6 months and 1000+ miles on the original cable with no signs of trouble to date.

and my opinion, after seeing pics of both yes-small-spring & no-small-spring, is that the small spring does in fact help keep the cable at a better angle where it goes into the adjuster.

7. dr_clabo

dr_clabo Guest

since you asked for this info... during original install, i did slightly adjust the angle of the adjuster for "best fit" & even with that it still leaves a fairly sharp angle on the cable coming out and to the clutch-arm.

Fantastic - A straight forward answer to a straight forward question:
    Should I change the angle?

I guess I am about the only one around that has ever broke a cable.
    Certainly the only guy that has broke one within 12 days of use.

What have been the experiences of the seasoned pros around here?

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

and now it's searchable, the library grows ever larger with each unique question :)

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes.

You should adjust it for the best "natural" angle. I adjusted mine for height as well. It was low as set from the factory, so I unscrewed it a couple of turns until it was even with the clutch arm. I also took the cable out of the sheath and cut the sheath down A LOT. I then LUBED the cable with light grease (Lubriplate) and ran it through the sheath. Once all that was done, I cut off the excess cable. My lever pull is very light.

...and yeah, go to a bike shop and buy a cheap brake cable.

10. dr_clabo

dr_clabo Guest

11. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I don't tighten the nut on the adjuster until it finds its own "comfort zone".
    and sometimes not at all.....where's it gonna go?

12. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

13. dr_clabo

dr_clabo Guest

I don't tighten the nut on the adjuster until it finds its own "comfort zone".
    and sometimes not at all.....where's it gonna go?

Smartest thing I have heard all week !!!

~DC~

14. Fishinglie

Fishinglie Guest

Mine broke after Three Days!!

15. Ditto on the lube,man. My clutch lever locking button was hard to set so a shot of chain lube from an aresol can dit it to it. I lube my cables pretty weekly.
    Now I'm gonna run over to my bike and loosen that cable adjustment nut...and put a brake cable in my toolpouch.

16. turbo/chaos

turbo/chaos Guest

best thing that i do that roland told me to do is to go to your local bike shop and replace it with brake cable snug and lil hard to get in but dang is it strong
    aboute 3 bucks or less and last a life time later

17. Scottm

Scottm Guest

I remeber breaking mine, it snapped at the handle. $1.50 at the bike shop for a new cable. Augi taught me a trick if on the road and it breaks. Tie end of cable on a nut and stick it back in the handle. Worked great!