Clutch clutch help

J

jake

ok, so ive read all the instructions abouthow to hook up the clutch cable but something still isn't right. for one, the cable seems too short to hook up like the pictures on dax's instructions. the main question i have though is about the operation of the clutch. when the plate is installed on the motor, the arm that swings back and forth can swing freely from straight back to straight to the left with absolutely no resistance.if i try to move it towards the right side nothing happens. at what point is the clutch engaged? when should i feel resistance? what parts inside the engine are supposed to move? it won't budge. can somebody please explain what the normal operation should be like.
1256_PHOT0029_1.jpg

as it sits right now, the clutch is engaged by default, so to speak.

that "resistance" you feel as you move the lever towards the engine is where you'd be starting to DIS-engage the clutch.

when you pull the cable with the clutch-lever, you'll pull the clutch-arm, the cam on the arm will push the rod, which will push the pressure plate OFF the clutch-plate...disengaged.

release the lever, you let the pressure plate contact the clutch-plate...engaged.

install the clutch-cable & clutch-lever after you've mounted the engine & installed the chain, and replaced the sprocket cover & clutch-arm.

did that make any sense? hope it helps.

While we're on the subject, does anyone have a link to clutch adjustment? I don't need it, I just keep thinking about it though.

i tried my hand at writing something up once...it's way back there somewhere. besides, i think someone could do a better job at it, i was pretty new with the engine then.

I've heard several people here say they ajusted their clutch, I was just wondering how it went. Mine is not slipping or anything, but it would be nice to know how to adjust it when/if it does.

the first few times, you may need to actually move the brass-lock up the cable as it stretches.

try very hard to NOT take the brass end off the cable, if it's frayed, or you will be trying very harder to put it back :eek:

after that, & for quite a while, the threaded cable-end adjuster on the engine will do...it's only about a 2-thread difference between fully-engaged & slightly disengaged...i use my leathermans to make small tweaks whenever sumpin dont feel right...over 800 miles since i've adjusted the brass cable-lock & over 1000 miles on the original cable 8)

im still having trouble with my clutch. i got everything set up like you guys said. but when i pull the clutch lever to the handle bars the engine doesn't act like it is in neutral. no amount of adjusting seems to help. if i pull the heck out of the lever, the little brass doo-dad at the end of the cable flies off before the engine goes out of gear.

Back