Clutch is STILL always engaged

Patdon10

Local time
5:34 AM
Well, I bought the ball, and I bought the pin and I put it all together. Whether I press the clutch handle or not, the engine is still always under compression. I attached some photos, that will hopefully help you guys help me find the problem.

Pictures of clutch lever pulled, clutch lever not pulled and how far out the pin sticks.

Anyone have any ideas? It's really annoying to not have a peddle mode.

Attachments

• 264454782853_0_1.jpg
    264454782853_0_1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 304
  • 264454869253_0_1.jpg
    264454869253_0_1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 272
  • 264454932101_0_1.jpg
    264454932101_0_1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 307
Tighten cable. Repeat till it suits you. Something like pliers or vise grips may be needed to move the splined arm atop the shaft.
The splined arm that turns the rod that pushes the bearing & every thing, it can be removed and adjusted. Just a bit 4 or 5 notches on the spline ( counter clockwise ) will make is easier to pull.
When you adjust the cable and pull clutch handle in, it sets clutch (sometimes ) if so adjust again.
Good Luck.

In the first pic, does the clutch arm have resistance right away from that position when you push it towards the motor? If it does take the cable out of the arm and shorten up the brass lock on the cable about 1/4" then push the arm over by hand and rehook the cable. It should make the cable pull the arm far enough to release it. Also you could try really shortening the cable so it pulls it way over and riding a little to get the clutch to break free. If none of that works take the 5 bolt cover off the other side so you can see the clutch plate and work the lever to see what's wrong. The brassy colored plate should move out away from the clutch pucks.

Last edited:
alright. sounds good. I'll give everything a try and report back.

yeah, the ball is 8mm.

Another side note....the arm that spins, doesn't really seem to do anything. When I look what happens when I manually spin the arm, it just appears that the pin spins a little bit, but doesn't actually move in or out. So I took the cover off and gave the pin a push, trying to replicate what should happen. No matter how hard I push I can NOT get the pin to move in at all. It almost seems like the entire clutch piece is seized.

The arm the cable goes to should be hard to push right away. If you take the cover off there's a flat cut in the bottom of the shaft that arm is attached to. As it turns it pushes the pin in, the pin pushes the ball, the ball pushes the clutch shaft. There are several clutch adjustment threads in this area. If the arm the cable goes to isn't hard to push in less than 1/2" of travel then it isn't engaging the pin quick enough. You won't have enough leverage to push the pin by hand with the cover off. It may just be the clutch plate is stuck on the pucks. That's why if you can get the arm pushed in far enough so it's pushing hard on the clutch and ride it may break them free. If it does the clutch will start slipping alot so don't ride very far at all till you can readjust the cable. I hate to advocate a hammer but if the cable arm is hard to push right away and it just will not release you could take the left cover off put a brass drift against the pin and whack it once to try and break the clutch shaft free.

The arm is very easy to push. It takes no effort0 whatsoever. It doesn't seem like the arm is doing anything, it has no forward - backward motion on the pin, it just spins it a little bit.

The clutch is absolutely frozen. It seems like 2 things are wrong.

firstly, With the ball inside as well as the pin, the pin isn't long enough to be pushed by the arm, hence the arm spins freely and has no resistance in spinning whatsoever.

So, I put a 2nd ball inside, which pushed the pin out a little further. No matter how hard I push, the clutch arm will NOT spin so the round end touches the ball. It will only allow the flat side to touch the pin. Something is so frozen that no matter what I do, I can't get the clutch to disengage.

I'm seriously considering getting a replacement engine. This one has been **** since the start as far as the clutch goes. Parts have been missing, the directions were terrible. I don't know what is wrong with the clutch and I can't figure it out.

Now, I have started the bike before, by simply pushing on the peddles as hard as I can downhill. It immediately drives the engines compression, I give the choke a little air, and the engine fires right up. As soon as I slow down, the engine dies, so I really need to be able to disengage the clutch to enjoy the bike ride.

I don't know what else to do...

At least you got yours running, mine is impossible to pedal at all. My problem is similar, except the clutch arm/levers have resistance. I'm seriously considering getting a replacement as well.

Back