Clutch keeps.. doing something.

After adjusting the wheel the chain is very tight, and now the engine is also perfectly aligned as far as I can tell.. Unfortunately still popping very badly when the chain is turning (whether the clutch is in or not)

I've pretty much reached the limits of my debugging abilities at this point.

One final point I noticed was without the cable on, if I held the lever in while turning it, I definately felt the pop through the lever as I turned the wheel.

Could it be a bad bearing maybe? The bucking bar seems to be working fine. Or maybe something to do with the internals of the clutch. I tried to get in there but would have no idea how.

this grinding n crunching sounds like the bearing is chipped, shattered, or just not there....? just a lone lil bearing it is...

more... the shaft bearings?

Last edited:
Hmm, I think you might be onto something with that, Head. I've decided to buckle and im buying a whole new clutch kit to replace the bucking bar, bearing, and clutch crank, as well as the cable and return spring and heatshield and we'll see how that goes.

Can anyone advise me as to why this may have occurred, as im trying to work the kinks out so that I can avoid constantly spending so much ****ed money on the thing.

Seems like every other week riding it I have to replace something. Fixing/maintaining I have no problems with but at this point im well past the $500 mark for money spent on the thing (not including about $500 on tools as well) and its still consistently breaking down. Seems a shame to me that there isn't an entirely alternative design out there or something that cost a little more but wasn't so... chinese "quality".

Mike, it sounds like you might possibly have a broken clutch return spring. (Hard to get at - the cases need to be split.)
There's a return spring with the rebuild kit.
Let us know how you go.

ooooh, thats a good one i didnt think of!

why would the bearing shatter if it is the bearing, and why would the spring snap if its the spring?

or whatever else it could be? mainly cus its of questionable quality, ones bound to fail sooner or later...

Ok so.. update.

Just got the repair kit, and the new cable etc etc, put in the new bucking bar and bearing first off, also slightly adjusted the angle of the engine back to 90 degrees. still pops - only while going forwards.

Took the side case off where the drive cog is that hooks upto the big wheel on the opposite side to the chain drive cog. Noticed that the biggest cog being driven from the smaller one was.. really all over the place. when it 'popped' it was going on a weird angle.. etc etc.. unsure how i'd tighten this up..

Unsure as well as to how to remove the central piece if that is indeed what has broken. Also: Could this have anything to do with the flower nut adjustment?

Sounds like a woodruff key sheared, then the gear spun till it became loose, then it bound up........which if it happened while running at any speed, I am unsure of the cascade effect of damage.

Last edited:
Sorry, could you provide any more details as im unfamiliar with this part :)

Also, if anyone knows of a good tutorial for completely replacing the clutch - I had a quick search around but couldn't find one within the first few pages of results.

I figure if I replace the whole thing, I can't really go wrong?

Still curious if it could be related to the flower nut adjustment. I've tried to take a video, but I only have my phone which wasn't really useful in either documenting the gears movement or the sound even..

Cheers guys!

Not exactly what I had in mind :p

Thanks though.

EDIT: To be clear what I need is a step by step clutch repair tutorial. Im really not that greatly techically minded but techically capable :p
I'm sure there's one on here somewhere i'm probably just not much good at searching.

Last edited:
Back