Clutch not working ?

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Guest, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

my bike was working fine last night

I went out to ride my bike today and i was trying to start my bike the clutch was working fine, then right when i am trying to start it, the clutch just stops working and the bike just starts driving normal and i can't feel any the clutch at all.

I don't know whats wrong now the motor will not even work because it just drives with no tension at all.

Whats wrong with it ?

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

a search of "clutch adjustment" turned up 22 hits on this site.

give it a try. :D

"It is better to have a hen tomorrow, than an egg today."

(that was in my fortune cookie today, at the "Happytime Buffet")

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Its not about the clutch cord, I took that off the clutch and manually pushed it back and forth and the chain does not have any tension at all.

when I used the bike before the clutch had to be engaged before the bike would move, now it just moves when its pushed engaged or not.

I don't know what i have broke ?

4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

is your chain off of the engine sprocket?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

No its on but it just goes like a normal bike chain now with no tension at all, there was allways tension before i engaged the clutch and i could not even move the bike untill i enaged the clutch.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

The engine sprocket turns fine with chain on, but with no tension.

7. azbill

azbill Active Member

check to see if the drive sprocket (at engine) is spinning free
    if it is, you might have sheared the woodruff key that locks the sprocket to the output shaft
    that happened to me while I was riding and caused the nut holding sprocket on to strip all the threads
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=1646

8. Guest

Guest Guest

9. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG]

I can't get theses screws off the engine , I have tryed with 3 screw drivers and even hit it lightly with a hammer.

I need to get in there to see whats going on , why are they so tight ?

10. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

thanks for the video.... I tend to agree with azk on this one...there is a broken keystock on your front engine sprocket. (allows your engine to spin, but not your sprocket. I know there are some sprocket pics on here. try a search for "removing front sprocket" select search all terms
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=2120

keep us posted.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

can anyone help me with the screws ?

12. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i'll add this:

brace the bike ahead of time against a bench or wall. find the absolute fattest screwdriver blade you can get in the slot. tap only enough to keep the blade in the slot. give it all you got, they do bust loose.

13. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Safety issue

I just noticed your bike is a Huffy. Huffy's are good bikes & make great looking motored bikes. I am going off topic only for this important issue.
    Huffy front fenders are famous for breaking loose & causing crashes.
    This is a fact.

Do NOT ride your bike with this fender.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=1583

http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=205

I, now return your thread to you.
    Have you had any luck with those bolts?

14. prowler

prowler Guest

The old hammer type impact driver is the best way to get those screws out. If you know someone who works on old cars or motorcycles (especially asian ones), he no doubt will have an impact driver. Otherwise, like everyone else said, keep tapping the heads of the screws using a large blade screwdriver and eventually they should loosen up enough to to get them out.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I got the bolt off now i have to get inside the clutch, how do i do that?

16. thatsdax

thatsdax Guest

Get inside the Clutch?

Why would you want to get inside the clutch? The problem seems to be your woodruff key on the crank to engine sprocket. What is inside the clutch that you would want to get to? The clutch is on the right side of the motor. You can remove your dust cover side plate to inspect the clutch hub, plate, pads ect... What I would like to see is video of your engine sprocket will you are moving the bike forward and backward. That is what I would like to see.

17. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

you need to look at the sprocket side. not the clutch side.
    If your sprocket spins, but not the engine...then there is your problem.

If you need help, Keep your questions on this topic in this thread.
    Stop asking for help in general discussion.

18. I can't login with my other account, so i am using this New one

19. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

you're not gonna have to worry about that anymore...research showed you had 2 active accounts, i locked 'em down to investigate, so you made a 3rd?

sorry, bub...there won't be a 4th.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.