Clutch Clutch Pads

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by Irish John, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Irish John

Irish John Guest

I've noticed you can buy the clutch pads as a set of I think it's 15. Can someone tell me how these are supposed to attach to the gear wheel. Is there some special glue to stick them on with?

2. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I think it's just a press-fit IJ but get someone to confirm that.

3. biken stins

biken stins Member

Might be different types also. Round & square ?

4. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

They just get stuffed into the holes around the inner part of the clutch gear.
    It has been recommended to trim them up a bit, just enough so they will float in the holes, not fit tightly. That way you get a much better clutch action.
    There are round ones and square-ish ones. They are not compatible with eachother. Better to take your clutch apart first so you know which style to order.
    I have these pictures, I did not create them, they show the assembly very well.
    engine9.jpg
    engine11.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  5. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Gear nut nailed it. The pads must float.

6. tacoshell4

tacoshell4 Member

mine were all mashed up in the holes and the back half wore out so I filed them up and refit them good so far.

7. cpuaid

cpuaid Member

Bought some replacement pads off ebay. You will still need to file/trim them down because they came oversized.

8. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Thanks guys for explaining it. If I can't get the right size so they can be pressed straight in without filing or trimming (I mean who wants all that work?) I'll just pull the whole unit out of a seized motor - of which I have a garden full - and use that. I've been slowly selling bits of seized motors to the kids around here. The seized motors are all from ZBox except for one Grubee.

9. Pablo

Chances are the ones out of seized motors will need sanding as well. Pretty easy, just lay a piece 150 grit paper flat and hit each edge, then the corners, next......

10. DJEEPER

DJEEPER Member

or just leave the pads in and take the whole gear off :grin5::detective:

11. Pablo

But still dollars to donuts the pads are NOT free floating even if you take the whole gear.

12. DJEEPER

DJEEPER Member

true true.

now, why is it that we want them to be free floating again and not fixed?

is it just to prevent hard engages?

13. Pablo

Free floating so they bite on both sides. Think about or look how the clutch REALLY works. The outer disc puts pressure on the pucks that are sandwiched.....

14. DJEEPER

DJEEPER Member

ahh, see i have never taken my clutch apart, so i havent seen it.

I guess its because im a visual learner. I can tell you how a NP231 transfer case works down to the very small details because i have rebuilt it.

15. tacoshell4

tacoshell4 Member

how do you replace the pads?fromthe front its pressed together isnt it? mine fell apart unpressed? and all the steel balls fell out.. some other people said they were tack welding them so they dont come apart..