Clutch Clutch???

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by iSmokilos, Jun 9, 2013.

1. iSmokilos

iSmokilos New Member

So basically I was riding home. i started to accelerate right as I got to full throttle the bike all of a sudden lost power and seemed to spin or just slip with a twist of the throttle. Vibration was so bad I broke a rear mounting bolt. Now that I've replaced the bolt, I'm trying to fix this prob. The bike turns over just fine and idles fine. When you start to accelerate it seems the engine is just spinning.. I'm not sure if this is a clutch prob or what. Pls help

2. bigoilbob

bigoilbob Member

Stupid ?, from personal experience. Is you chain still there? Took me 5 minutes to figure out mine wasn't, the other day. It's partially hidden, but still pretty vacant of me.........

3. iSmokilos

iSmokilos New Member

Stupid? What are you talking about? Of course my chain is on the bike.

4. bigoilbob

bigoilbob Member

What am I talking about? I'm talking about trying to help someone on the forum, who asked for help, and then getting snarked for it, *******. This way I don't end my sentence with a preposition.

5. bigoilbob

bigoilbob Member

iSmokilos 2nd thought, you might have misunderstood my initial reply. Your ? is not "stupid". My ? 2 U might have been, which is why I tried to frame it as an initial check list item. Not sayin' you're as careless as me to miss a hanging chain for a few minutes. As long as you looked.....

6. iSmokilos

iSmokilos New Member

Your not helping at all. Your being rude and more like interrupting.

7. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

OK guys, Play nice or I'm taking the ball and going home.
    I don't think BOB was sayin yer stupid, just that he was stupid, (for a minute anyway.) And we've ALL been there.
    SO, Lets get to yer bike problem.
    The engine spinning without transferring power to the wheel does sound like a clutch problem. There are a few things that can cause this. First is the easy one, clutch adjustment. Second is a little more difficult, Sheared clutch key. And the last one I can think of is a blown oil seal.
    First, The easy one. Take of the clutch cover off and you'll see, Center of clutch, a "flower" nut. Take the small locking screw out, Pull in the clutch to relieve the pressure on it and turn in the flower nut 4 or 5 notches. Put it back together and try it. You'll have to re adjust the clutch cable after doing this, just to let ya know.
    Second possibility, Sheared key. It might be possible to still start the engine because the clutch is pressed on pretty tight, But if it's a sheared key this wont last long. The clutch shaft spinning in the clutch without turning the clutch will wear it out QUICK. So, you can check two things at once here. The key AND a blown seal. With the engine running and the clutch cover off, slowly let out the clutch. Ya might want to hold the brake or put the front wheel against a wall. If the clutch spins it's oil on your pads, If it dont spin it's a key.
    And I just thought of something else, Still a key, BUT on the other side. Your drive sprocket key could be sheared.
    You should have got a puller with your kit. If it's a key (either one,) then ya pull of the offending part, replace the key, if the key slot ain't FUBAR'D, and put it back together.
    If it's a blown seal the clutch will spin but wont "grab". Oil on the clutch pads is never good. An oil seal aint too hard to replace, but still a PITA.
    Hope this helps,
    Big Red.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    iSmokilos likes this.
  8. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

iSmokilos likes this.
  9. iSmokilos

iSmokilos New Member

Big Red and Big Blue thanks so much for your tips and links. I adjusted the clutch and it still slips at a high speed. No problem with starting, it turns right over. Just after I get past half throttle it seems to be losing power to the rear wheel. Big Red, I'll have to check the "key" tomorrow. And Big Blue thanks for that Grubee link. Ill post tomorrow with a clutch update. Thx guys. You've given me hope when I thought it was a garbage engine.

10. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

No problemo iSmok, Sometimes it takes longer to explain it then to acually do it. The little china girl is one of the most basic engines in the world today. Not really all that much to 'em. If ya have any questions AT ALL just get back to us. There's no stupid questions, just stupid answers. And I'll try not to give you one of those, (stupid answer that is.)
    Big Red.

iSmokilos likes this.
  11. iSmokilos

iSmokilos New Member

Ok so i replaced the key and it runs great again. thx Big Red!