Clutches and gearing issues....

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Guest, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

A quick couple of questions for those of you that have run these awhile-

1.) Do you peddle then let the clutch out or take off like a motorcycle?
    2.) How well are your clutches holding up? How many plates do they have? I'm guessing they are 1 plate dry clutches? Does the manufacture reccomend taking off like a motorcycle (no peddling)?

O.K., that's more than two.

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

no problem, Joe...... :D
  3. azbill

azbill Active Member

is it bad for the clutch to take off pedal-free?
    it is easy to take off with a 48 for me @ 150-155lbs
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

I was asking because it would seem like you are taking off in high gear. I know that can't be real good for a single plate dry clutch.

5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

after you get to know your engine/bike you develop the right method for pedaling/clutching take-offs.

as i approach a stop, i disengage and lock the clutch, roll or pedal to my turn at the stop while hand-signalling my intentions. when it's my turn, i start out pedaling, then release the clutch as i gain speed.

with approx 250lbs of total weight, i never use engine-only from a dead stop...personally, i don't have the funds to buy/replace parts i can treat right for a longer & more reliable lifespan.
  6. Hugemoth

Hugemoth Guest

I always give a couple peddle strokes when taking off. The clutch is basically a dry single plate however the plate consists of a piece of steel with holes cut in it and lots of small "pucks" of clutch material. These are really cheap and can easily be replaced.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

8. mrsaxman99

mrsaxman99 Guest

how does that start nut work for adjustment?
  9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

the star nut is a pressure adjustment, with 1/6th-turn locking positions.

i'm pushing 1000 miles with no signs of clutch malfunction or need for adjustments, but i do have a lot of motorcycling experience and i NEVER overload my clutch components.
  10. mrsaxman99

mrsaxman99 Guest

anyone have a picture of the star nut? and what does the tiny screw that goes in the pressure plate do?
  11. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

this thread has a pic...scroll up. the tiny screw is a set screw to keep the star nut from turning.
  12. mrsaxman99

mrsaxman99 Guest

okay, i figured that's what you all are talking about.

can you simply take out the small screw and turn the star nut to adjust the pressure?
  13. thatsdax

thatsdax Guest

You got it.. Simply remove the small screw and turn the larger star nut to adjust pressure.
  14. davidbil

davidbil Guest

my clutch grinds sometimes too
    the star screw tightens left or right?
  15. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

my motorbike has no pedals, only footpegs. I take off like a motorcycle. pull in the clutch when coming to a stop, awit for my time to go, then give it a slight push with my foot and give it just a tiny bit of gas so that when i release the clutch, the engine doesnt lurch forward, but propels me smoothly ahead.

This can't be as damaging as a clutch start where u give it too much gas and the engine revs too fast and the bike jumps and its just not pretty. I learned how to use my clutch since.

Still 20 bucks to replace from Kingsmotorbikes isnt so bad. not for me at least.