Brakes coaster brake search

jgcoaster

Local time
4:45 AM
I haven't been active on bicycles in 20 years, and although I'll be 54 next month, I'm in excellent shape and health. I currently ride off road motorcycles but want to get back into bicycles while I can still can.

I was into bmx for many years and could perform coaster wheelies with the best (was clocked at 40 + mph).

Can anyone recommend a coaster brake that works well for 20 - 30 mph coaster wheelies and where I can find them. It seems as though the ones I tried recently are way too touchy. I need one that has a slight progression and doesn't lock up easily.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I would like to try coaster wheelies again before I get any older!

You won't be in excellent shape and health for long if you keep that sort of stuff up.

I like the Shimano cb-e110.

what the heck is a coaster wheelie? Does it even apply to a motorized bicycle?

It's just holding the front wheel in the air beyond the balance point without doing any additional pedaling, using the rear brake to push the front wheel back down when necessary. A coaster brake isn't actually needed for it, I prefer using v-brakes for it. It's just more commonly done with a coaster brake because BMX bikes are fitted with coasters.

It's just holding the front wheel in the air beyond the balance point without doing any additional pedaling, using the rear brake to push the front wheel back down when necessary. A coaster brake isn't actually needed for it, I prefer using v-brakes for it. It's just more commonly done with a coaster brake because BMX bikes are fitted with coasters.

Yes, you're description is right on the money. Although a v-brake works well for coaster wheelies, I prefer the coaster brake since I'll do tricks at the same time (e.g. no-handers and spinning the handle bars around).

And yes, this maneuver can be executed on a motorized or non - motorized bicycle. All it takes is the ability to get the front wheel in the air to your balancing point, while you have some forward momentum going.

Thanks Butre for your suggestion regarding the shimano coaster brake. I'll have to see if a local bike store can get me one to try out.

Back