Coaster Brakes?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by aflaclover123, Jun 20, 2016.

1. aflaclover123

aflaclover123 New Member

Hello, I am looking to build a motorized bike. I was given the idea by a neighbor who built one on a huffy cruiser bike that uses coaster brakes. I was planning on doing this but I was wondering if they were safe. I did some research but I haven't found a definitive answer. Another factor is that I would have to find a cruiser bike that has hand brakes. If it isn't safe, are there any bikes that aren't too expensive that would work well for building a bike?

2. skyash

skyash Active Member

Coaster brakes will kill you one minute you are putting it on then it locks up and you skid down the road not my preference

3. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

or, you'll coast right into a bus at 30mph

4. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

I like them:) lol

Have yet to have a failure (that wasn't my fault;)) in over 1,000ish miles (combined)

Just keep them lubed with high temp grease and they are a good brake.... I still recommend using other brakes if your going above 25mph (I can stop on a dime with a coaster brakes anything less than that)

5. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Too many horror stories of folks with only coaster brakes, but all is not lost. See if the bike can take a caliper brake in the front. That is where most of your braking power is going to come from.

Frankfort MB's likes this.
  6. aflaclover123

aflaclover123 New Member

Do you have any recommendations for bikes?

7. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

I've never had a coaster brake failure, but always use protection, install a front brake! It's kinda like keeping a rubber in your wallet and an umbrella in your trunk , cause you never know when you might be screwing in the rain.

Tauseef likes this.
  8. skyash

skyash Active Member

Bad bit is thay do and you don't know when. And for me it's haveing no feeling in a coaster brake. You put a bit on bit more bit more than bang locks up and doesn't come off for a sec. Well you slide for a block. Best thing try for your self then it's up to you.

9. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

From your experience can you pinpoint a particular brand that does this? I.e. Huffy, Schwinn, Bendix

10. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

From your experience can you pinpoint a particular brand that does this? I.e. Huffy, Schwinn, Bendix

11. skyash

skyash Active Member

We don't get those bikes here with coaster maybe same bike different name
    Well my mates mambo huffy hade one it starts to get stuck on i hade 2 different beach cruiser that would slow you down till it locks up and you die. I don't think eny Coaster is good past a slow speed thay are just not made for it. Like I said you try and you pick your setup. Huffy is sh*t now $60 100 bikes the name like gt or giant have all gone down hill

12. skyash

skyash Active Member

My problem is I race every where so wear and tear comes fast. I kick start a bike 2 bikes and the handlebars brake off at the neck better there then when riding. Snap 2 bike frames in half well riding have tires blow up well at 60 kmh. My chopper frame snapped in half. My mate's call me sir stacks a lot.

13. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

Thank China for that, here in the states we are slowly realizing the trade off of losing most all our manufacturing jobs, lower prices/ lower quality but more importantly less pollution even though China's pollution problem is a global problem ,we don't have to wear a mask to go outside YET

14. skyash

skyash Active Member

I hate that I see them here with a mask on. I mean get real. That mask dose nothing maybe big bits of dust lol like a golf ball lol

15. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

I live in Lansing Michigan, where most of the world's cars used to be made and we never had air as filthy as what you see in pictures of China, I appreciate their honesty about not having civil rights but there really needs to be a global standard on environmental quality. I think if I hadn't gotten 5 felonies I would have made a good politician, in reality I'm sure most politicians just haven't been caught.

16. skyash

skyash Active Member

I think to meny people staying alive for to long /fake harts drugs for sickness. and cars plans boats smog. it's a hard thing to say. I don't won't to die yeah fix me if iam sick but it's killing the planet for everyone for ever.people frist bs with no planet to live on lol