Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kerf, May 17, 2009.

1. kerf

kerf Guest

Is it just me or are we having some trouble warming up this year. Where is Global Warming, I'm COLD. Left at 5:00 this morning for a quick 20 mile ride, had on jeans and a sweat shirt, mile down the road and I need gloves. I darn near froze. This is the 17th of May and I live in the deep south, what gives?

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I just finished a 6 mile pedal bike ride at about 40 deg. Pretty good weather for a bike ride, really.

We've had a reasonable spring. Several warm days, but also many cool ones.

The weather always hovers around an average. Sometimes it's off by quite a bit.

I know this isn't really a global warming thread (?), but I suppose I ought to address the misconception. No one said it was just going to get warmer and warmer everywhere. The danger is the climate disruption. It'll also hover around an average. The average will slowly rise, but individual days will up and down. And that doesn't address issues of rain, jet stream, ocean current changes.

A couple of cool days certainly don't disprove it.

For right now you should just try to enjoy this coolness. Soon it'll be summer and we'll start seeing threads titled "Hot!!!!!". :)
  3. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

where's Global Warming when you need it ???

yes -- where's Global Warming when you need it ???

kind of surprized to hear that it's still cold down there

not talking about what's going on here -- no no...

my brother down your way was out on his farm yesterday
    enjoying his lake and some 4-wheel riding
    it's nice down south

enjoy yourself --- from - MM
  4. kerf

kerf Guest

You are quite correct but a few years or even a decade of above average temps don't prove it either. In any population, random variation will produce highs and lows around the mean. If the system meets the criteria as an "in control" system, then one may assume a certain stability of the mean. However, variation of the mean does not equate to "bad", it's just what the system generates. The fact that the earth has seen multiple glacials separated by interglacials is a very strong indicator that the climate is prone to wide NATURAL extremes. Thirty years ago, some researchers swore we were entering another glacial and would all starve or freeze, didn't happen.

I personally believe natural factors such as volcanism and sun spot cycles have many times the climatic impact of humanity. Does that mean I don't like clean air and clean water, of course not, we all want that. That can be achieved without the destruction of our economy, i.e. (Cap and Trade, Kyoto Protocol). I see the current climate change movement as political rather than environmental. Many, such as Jeff Immelt, are looking to make billions for GE in government contracts, paid for by the tax payer. The old rule always applies, "Follow The Money".
  5. bluegoatwoods

Okay, kerf, I can't see anything to disagree with in your last post. Natural climate change does certainly exist. And even if man-made climate change is a myth, there are still many problems with extreme use of fossil fuels.

The only caution that I would throw out is; if something fairly drastic, fairly quick needs to be done about it (a pretty reasonable guess for more than one reason), yet we do not do so, then the consequences will be drastic. Probably not for us, but for perhaps our great-grandchildren.

Are there those who see it as a money-making opportunity? It would surprise me if there weren't. That merely means that part of our job in managing the problem is making sure that we don't throw our resources at "snake oil salesmen".

For whatever it's worth, I'm much more fearful of WWIII (over dwindling energy) followed by a collapse of the global economy followed by a slave economy than I fear climate change. But I tend to support the climate change crowd simply because their agenda (managed properly) will result in decreased use of fossil fuels. I don't have all the data, but I'm convinced that this is a must.
  6. kitcarguy

kitcarguy Member

I am in Orlando and it was about 80 at 7am this morning. Nothing cold here
  7. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

we are not rubbing it in right now !!

we are not rubbing it in right now kitcarguy !!

yes -- the weather is so great here also -- but -- just say someTHING like

hoping that THINGS warm up soon for you

well at least we are happy that you can get out for a MB ride

it's so darn hot here -- would love to trade weather with you

so much fun to ride the motor bike THINGS
  8. seanhan

seanhan Member

I Think We Should Inform Al Gore Of This !!!!!!!

IF he is finished inventing the Internet !!!!!
  9. kitcarguy

kitcarguy Member

Not rubbing it in at all...hahah

So where in the SoCal mountains are you? I use to live in Crestline. Went HS there in the 90s, and even worked at Santa's Village...haah

10. kerf

kerf Guest

Tonight and tomorrow night, lows in the mid 40's. I am a die hard river rat and usually I'm sucking a brew, in the water off the stern of the boat this time of year. It's been a cool and wet spring, looking forward to riding in shorts and a teeshirt.
  11. seanhan

seanhan Member

90 deg.

Here in north texas today. Rain is over for now !!!!
    had a blast ridding that thing.....:evilgrin:
  12. bluegoatwoods

You know, kerf, our overnight lows for the past three nights have been about 40 deg.

You don't seem to be doing any better than we are and this is the frozen north. (Admittedly, the southern end of it.....but still)

But things have gotta look up for you soon. So hang in there.
  13. loquin

loquin Active Member

We can only WISH it was cold! Here in the Phoenix, AZ area, we've probably set a new record today for the month of May, with 13 days over 100 degrees. To top it off, there's still nearly 2 weeks left to really pad that record...
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  14. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

You gotta love az as no microwaves are required just set the frozen dinner on the porch and zap it with some sun rays, no ovens either just set the pizza outside and bam 16 min later its cooked. Man look at the money yall save on electric bills lol.