Coldest temperature you can handle (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by sparky, Feb 21, 2009.

?

Coldest temp you can handle?

1. Below 0 deg

18.6%
  2. 0 deg

2.3%
  3. 10 deg

14.0%
  4. 20 deg

16.3%
  5. 30 deg

16.3%
  6. 40 deg

11.6%
  7. 50 deg

7.0%
  8. 60 deg

11.6%
  9. 70 deg

2.3%
  1. sparky

sparky Active Member

What would that be?

I can't find the original thread of this topic, but I put a st00pit response of like 50 or 60. I've gone down to 30 deg for about 5 miles now, so time for a restart.

2. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I did about a 6 hour stint in the low twenties on that Jan '07 Mobile run, teeth chattered the whole time.

Layers of fleece hoodies and snow sneakers, that's my ticket.

3. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

It's been relatively cold here lately, low 60's at night and 70's daytime.

I ride daytime, so 70's is all I need to handle.

My hair was down past my shoulders, then I shaved my head bald. Ever since then I can REALLY feel the chill.

Need to wear beanies now. Caught a cold from the chill.

4. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

30 is the bare minimum, and I can't do it for too long. 35 is still way cold, but I can handle that a bit longer. I rode to St. Petersburg in 35 degree weather for about 2 hours, and it warmed up to 45-50 for the other two hours. 4 Hours total riding time in the freezing cold, over 60 miles, but it was well worth it to ride with the pack of dedicated Motorized Bicyclists!

5. Brad883

Brad883 New Member

I'm new to motorized bikes, but from my motorcycle experience freezing is my limit. (32º F - 0º C)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  6. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Guest

Its all a matter of the clothes and gear you wear.

7. sparky

sparky Active Member

I can go 30-40 degrees for 10 min (teeth chattering and all), but I'm pretty sure I couldn't go much more. I was wearing a hoodie and gloves... that's the extent of my cold-weather gear.

40 deg, on the other hand, isn't that bad to me at all.

8. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I have ridden in the single digit range...ya know, when your nostrils stick together, when you try to breathe.

this winter.. I have regularly ridden when it was in the low 20's.

I am 15 minutes away from anywhere I might need to be, in my town. So I just bundle up & deal with it.

Give me a 45 degree day & I'll go for a mindless pleasure ride!! :grin5:

9. graucho

graucho Active Member

Ahhh yes 45 deg. Hot Hot Hot. :smile:
    I have a heated shop 4 miles away but I like to keep my builds close at home.
    I pop in and out of the garage for 3 hrs at a time various days so I dont turn on the heater.
    Ive been building my newest MB between 10 to 30 deg in my homes garage's shop.
    The day of the photo below it was 30 deg. (thermometer in photo) It felt warm.

The coldest riding day was 17 deg. Its been snowy and slippery, so not much riding.

Attached Files:

10. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

I LOVE the car wheel on the bicycle!!! Graucho, keep us posted on that one! That's going to be SWEET!!! Looks like a HOG for sure!

Crazy Riding,
    ZnsaneRyder :jester:

11. TWalker

TWalker Guest

if i could hook my lectric underwear to my headlight wires i could prolly ride below zero degrees.

12. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

One of my veterinary supplies are a box of those disposable latex gloves, and on the worst days, I have those inside those cheap, brown cloth work gloves, inside my leather pair.

Triple layers there was the trick, and Stihl safety glasses kept a lot of the wind away from my eyes, but I remember it was my eyes that bothered me most that morning. And I'll admit lingering in a diner that morning, thawing out over a gallon of coffee refills.

(That was after I nearly asphixiated myself trying to heat the tent with a can of sterno....you know it's going to be a bummer of a morning when the radio announces its 18 degrees at 4 a.m.))

A customer got these goggles at an army surplus store, that have lenses that tint, look like what swimmers use. They make him look like a nerd, but he swears by them for cold morning rides.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  13. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I can ride in 0 deg F weather. I've ridden to work at that temp. About 6 miles.

Either actual zero or some higher temp with wind chill at zero.

It takes a pretty heavy clothing set-up. And I built myself a windscreen that goes from below my feet up to mid-chest and outward to cover the hands. Without that about 20 or so was my minimum. In another week or so I'll be able to remove the windscreen for the summer, I suppose. After the first of March we don't get any real deep freezes here.

14. Accender

Accender Member

Meh, I live in Ca.

40 is much to cold!

LOL

A

15. LesIzzMoore

LesIzzMoore New Member

Ice Man

I've commuted from Boston to Salem and back in subzero temps with the wind chill.

Best thing I can share is don't use gloves, only mitts keep your fingers warm. My finger tips would freeze with 2 gloves-100gram motorcycle gloves and thin ski gloves underneath that claimed to be warmer than 200gram gloves. :sick2:

16. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Znsane, you could probably hook up a small alternator and batteries and run... a CAR HEATER!!!

Or run a hot pipe from engine to the front near the handlebars.(just a wild idea for you guys who ride in the cold).

17. Escourtu

Escourtu New Member

I ride all year around even in sub-zero conditions in Minnesota. With a snow suit I only wear sweats and a long sleeve shirt. The worse thing is when it gets cold enough to freeze the grease in the bearings. As for the coldest I ever ridden in guessing it was somewhere close to -20 (actual) and more with windchill.

18. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

isn't that the truth

isn't that the truth -- clothes and gear

the high 30s and low 40s are fine with me
    now that I am dressed better for the cold
    been many years since I have done winter riding
    went out again the other fairly cold morning with out gloves
    once out in the cold -- I told myself -- this hurts the hands

well after some searching here in the house
    there they were -- my old motor cycle gloves
    they were mid range to expensive back when I bought them -- 1986 maybe ?

the gloves are very cool
    they have these zipper spots one opens
    and there are built in little rain coats that slip over the fingers and thumbs
    I put a load of saddle soap on them last night
    they were kind of hard after so many years in storage
    heading out early this morning so as to give them a try

from what I remember -- in the cold these gloves were what made the difference

ride the motor bike

19. KDC1956

KDC1956 Member

I see lots of baby's in here.Guess I am one too LOL.I don't like it to cold anymore about 60 is as low as I want to go now days and thats still cold.I'm almost done with my trike here man is it going to look cool or it is to me and fun to ride for sure.My trike is going to be friction drive it was cheaper to go this way for me.Tire are cheap now days.Just don't like to do chain work either.My trike should be all done by April 30 if all goes well.

20. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:idea:There MUST be a simple way to hook up a small gas or electric heater onto the bike for you guys living in cold country.

:idea:Maybe a watercooled 2-stroke high-performance engine. Then route the hot coolant through the handlebars.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009