Coldest temperature you can handle (Pt. 2)

Coldest temp you can handle?

• Total voters
if i could hook my lectric underwear to my headlight wires i could prolly ride below zero degrees.

One of my veterinary supplies are a box of those disposable latex gloves, and on the worst days, I have those inside those cheap, brown cloth work gloves, inside my leather pair.

Triple layers there was the trick, and Stihl safety glasses kept a lot of the wind away from my eyes, but I remember it was my eyes that bothered me most that morning. And I'll admit lingering in a diner that morning, thawing out over a gallon of coffee refills.

(That was after I nearly asphixiated myself trying to heat the tent with a can of sterno....you know it's going to be a bummer of a morning when the radio announces its 18 degrees at 4 a.m.))

A customer got these goggles at an army surplus store, that have lenses that tint, look like what swimmers use. They make him look like a nerd, but he swears by them for cold morning rides.

Last edited:
I can ride in 0 deg F weather. I've ridden to work at that temp. About 6 miles.

Either actual zero or some higher temp with wind chill at zero.

It takes a pretty heavy clothing set-up. And I built myself a windscreen that goes from below my feet up to mid-chest and outward to cover the hands. Without that about 20 or so was my minimum. In another week or so I'll be able to remove the windscreen for the summer, I suppose. After the first of March we don't get any real deep freezes here.

Ice Man

I've commuted from Boston to Salem and back in subzero temps with the wind chill.

Best thing I can share is don't use gloves, only mitts keep your fingers warm. My finger tips would freeze with 2 gloves-100gram motorcycle gloves and thin ski gloves underneath that claimed to be warmer than 200gram gloves. :sick2:

30 is the bare minimum, and I can't do it for too long. 35 is still way cold, but I can handle that a bit longer. I rode to St. Petersburg in 35 degree weather for about 2 hours, and it warmed up to 45-50 for the other two hours. 4 Hours total riding time in the freezing cold, over 60 miles, but it was well worth it to ride with the pack of dedicated Motorized Bicyclists!

Znsane, you could probably hook up a small alternator and batteries and run... a CAR HEATER!!!

Or run a hot pipe from engine to the front near the handlebars.(just a wild idea for you guys who ride in the cold).

I ride all year around even in sub-zero conditions in Minnesota. With a snow suit I only wear sweats and a long sleeve shirt. The worse thing is when it gets cold enough to freeze the grease in the bearings. As for the coldest I ever ridden in guessing it was somewhere close to -20 (actual) and more with windchill.

isn't that the truth

Its all a matter of the clothes and gear you wear.

isn't that the truth -- clothes and gear

the high 30s and low 40s are fine with me
now that I am dressed better for the cold
been many years since I have done winter riding
went out again the other fairly cold morning with out gloves
once out in the cold -- I told myself -- this hurts the hands

well after some searching here in the house
there they were -- my old motor cycle gloves
they were mid range to expensive back when I bought them -- 1986 maybe ?

the gloves are very cool
they have these zipper spots one opens
and there are built in little rain coats that slip over the fingers and thumbs
I put a load of saddle soap on them last night
they were kind of hard after so many years in storage
heading out early this morning so as to give them a try

from what I remember -- in the cold these gloves were what made the difference

ride the motor bike

I see lots of baby's in here.Guess I am one too LOL.I don't like it to cold anymore about 60 is as low as I want to go now days and thats still cold.I'm almost done with my trike here man is it going to look cool or it is to me and fun to ride for sure.My trike is going to be friction drive it was cheaper to go this way for me.Tire are cheap now days.Just don't like to do chain work either.My trike should be all done by April 30 if all goes well.

:unsure:There MUST be a simple way to hook up a small gas or electric heater onto the bike for you guys living in cold country.

:unsure:Maybe a watercooled 2-stroke high-performance engine. Then route the hot coolant through the handlebars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back