Compatable Speedometer (Finally)

Schwinn 12-function Bike Computer Battery Caution

You need to be careful with stressing the battery compartment too much. I replaced the old battery with a new one of the same voltage that was slightly thicker, hoping it would last longer. It lasted for about 6 months and then broke the LCD display. Adding a layer of rubber might stress the LCD display causing it to break as well.

I didn't sweat it too much since, as Butch says, these are only $10 at Walmart.

Good luck!

I'll have to get the bell digital because my schwinn keeps crapping out on me.

I found this thread tonight, but yesterday I read another thread about digital speedometers re setting themselves, the fix was in THAT thread. today I went to Radio shack and bought a ferrite filter. It cost five dollars and something. It's a small clip on gizmo with a hole through it.( it's hinged to open the hole) I wound the speedo wire a few times around one side snapped it closed ( I placed it close to the speedo unit ) then replaced the zip ties holding the speedo so they went through the coil I created, so they held both the speedo and the coil/filter. PRESTO! no more problems. Maybe I can post photos later.

bike computers

Well, that's one problem I haven't had yet. Got mine on ebay for like $17.00. (Walmart hadn't opened yet) Thought it was prety chintzy looking thing, but it has been fine so far, even with the constant rain. It froze last night, and this morning I was curious if it would still be working. Had to lick the ice off the display to see it, and...it was still going. :D Of course, this is on the e bike. (Now that would make a good photo for the silly pictures thread...tongue stuck to handlebar.) :eek:

Denny

ironwarlock

would not a heaver whizzer cable driven type speedo be the way to go?
Though those old school cable-driven speedometers might be reliable they are terribly inaccurate compared to the newer digital units that compute with the exact data of one's actual tire circumference.

Moderators, the three links posted in this thread no longer redirect...

:)~

I got a nice 40 mph mechanical speedometer at Ebay. Those electronic ones I simply hated. The mechanical speedometer pretty much guarantees your mileage will be accurate.

would not a heaver whizzer cable driven type speedo be the way to go?

I completely refuse to have any kind of electronic computer on any vehicle of mine. I saw '2001 A Space Odyssey' I know what can happen if you let a computer take charge ;) :eek:
Seriously though the only speedos I use on a bike if I must have one is a mechanical speedo that's driven by a cable. They can be found if you look around. Some exercise machines have mechanical speedos that can be used successfully on a bicycle. Exercise machines seem to regularly find their way into the local dump where I live, - and they're a great source of free steel tubing & etc for projects too. :D

Whizzer speedo's

I love the Whizzer speedo's and can reccomend them to anyone! I will install them even on the Model 09 and Model 10. Speed, odometer, and illumanated, what is there not to love?

Mike

The one at Target for $20 is a different one with more functions than the $10 on at Wally World. Same brand, Schwinn, but less functions (which I never use all the functions anyways).

BUT, if the Target one works better, then right on, man. I've got the WM one for 10 and am having problems with getting it to stop shorting out. So far I've been tinkering with an EMI filter from Radio Shack, and it helps but still shorts out once and a while (arrgh!).

Thanks for the info. guys. I especially think there may be something to that battery cover thing....hmmmmm....got me thinking now!

Jared3377

Still trying to get my speedo NOT to reset....no luck yet. I even went to Radio Shack to get another EMI filter, but it was a no-go. I'm almost ready to go for the mechanical speedometer that Large Filipino recommends. I might just have to search Ebay tonight.

jared3377

Back