Clutch Complete clutch removal

Krisma

Local time
9:48 PM
My clutch keeps rapidly fading until it does not work anymore. I have checked the cable, the clutch arm and all the easy to get to parts with no failures or problems. It is now time to pull it all apart. Has anyone actually taken the entire clutch mechanism out?

I have taken off the chain sprocket on the left side and the friction plate on the other side. What I would like is hearing from someone who has taken the internal clutch mechanism out.

Looks like you are right about splitting the case. Think the items marked 15 are bearings which support the item #20. see link below:
http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/STARFIRE SKYHAWK WEB INSTRUCTIONS.htm
Something is slipping inside so guess i will pull it apart or just buy a new motor now and fix it when I feel like it. Seems others have had the same issue and I would like to find out what is broken.

that shaft is solid right through the case,if something is slipping,its a sheared woodruff (half moon) key in the drive sprocket or clutch pack or clutch is maladjusted or clutch pads are greasy.

all that is in there is a spring that puts pressure on the clutch,its pinned to the shaft.
if there is pressure on the clutch lever,you can assume the spring is good.

The pic shows what's inside.

Attachments

• engine-0002.jpg
    engine-0002.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 684
Thank you Greg58. Just what I needed to see. Looks like the Clutch arm turns the clutch cam, which pushes a short shaft, which pushes a ball, which pushes another longer shaft, which has a pin going through it into a spring retainer, which gives resistance to the clutch and returns the clutch to the engaged position and can be adjusted by the spring retainer at the opposite end, which pushes the pressure plate to release the clutch.
My problem with my bike engine is that when i adjust the clutch, it works at first, then every time i use the clutch, it disengages less and less, until it doesn't work at all. I believe there is a problem with the spring return action. Either the spring itself or something in the retainer moving along the shaft.... Maybe.... Need to find the time to take her apart, maybe this weekend. Once again, Thanks Greg58!!!!

you do not have to split the case to remove the clutch shaft . after removing the clutch side parts it can be knocked out to the left . this info is from Al fisherman i dont remember the thread but he says it works. it sounds like the complete assembly is moving to the right, it should stop moving once the chain gear bottoms on the case.

Back