Compression Leaks on a Brand new Skyhawk?

MszTheBehr

Local time
3:10 PM
I noticed that after long rides I get a decent bit of oil between the head and the outside of the cylinder. The gap between the Head and the Cylinder topside had a bit of residue on it and was wondering if this was a normal issue with these engines. I did polish the mating area for the head and the cylinder so it should have been a good seal. I doubt this really changes performance a lot but was just wondering if anybody ran into this problem and if anybody has any ideas on how to remedy it.
Ty-
TheBehr

You might need better bolts and a better head gasket. There's a guy on here who sells some nice copper head gaskets that should work well. Use the search feature. Others will chime in if theres other fixes................its under the vendors section titled "FULL METAL Copper HEAD + BASE GASKETS now available !"

clean it well to see if it is coming from head or from exhaust

if from exhaust, make sure muffler hanger & nuts are tight & gasket is sound

if from head, make sure acorn nuts aren't binding on the studs rather than compressing the gasket

Its definitely coming from the head Crassius. That's exactly what I thought when I first saw it. I did do some searching on this forum and saw that some other people had the same problem from straight out of the box. On the other hand I think I will follow Darwin's advice an just buying the Copper Head Gasket.
Ty-
TheBehr

while ive never had an issue with standard heads, my only slant head leaks like a sieve and just warps by design. theres no solid beam under where the plug is located. right where it leaks. they all look the same from what ive seen. bin model in my opinion.

other people dont seem to have this issue apparently. so. ignore that.

flat surface, as flat and solid as possible,glue on 100-240grit sandpaper, gently rub sealing faces until completely contacting, both cylinder and head. sorta rotate the thing around on the sand paper, dont sand in just one direction.

always torque down in a cross pattern, after first nipping em tight by hand, carefully wriggling it all to make sure they all pull equally at first. half turn at a time, round and round...

you tighten just one first, whole head will tilt and warp, never sealing.

never had issues with stock studs, nuts or...no. the washers are POS. gaskets are...ok :)

a very slight smudge of oil is sorta normal on anything with a head gasket. a nasty poppin squeakin noise that tends to clear up as the engine gets warm...thats a leaking head gasket! occasionally you can feel the blast ;)

Just get yourself a CR Machine Manufacturing billet cylinder head (in your choice of compression ratio as well as single or multi spark plug cylinder head designs) and be done with messing around with the standard cylinder head.

Those heads seal perfectly and don't leak and look just sensational on the engine - did i forget to mention that they look sensational on the engine, especially in multi spark plug configuration.

Do a Google search for: "Twin Spark Plug Cylinder Head for 80cc Happy Time Engine"

Back