Congress on new light bulbs !

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by robin bird, Feb 1, 2010.

1. robin bird

robin bird Member
    This is totaly ridiculous the new lightbulb enforcement (nomore incandescents)cleanup laws and dangers.Canada has already approved them and are mandatory some time this year--the fools !

2. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Robin, I totally agree, but because it's obviously political in nature (heck, the video is from the House of Representatives), I'm going to have to move this thread to the CC.
  3. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Yes - little known fact that the libs snuck this in an energy bill a couple of years ago.

1st to be banned are 100 Watt bulbs in 2012, going down to 40 Watts in 2014.

I know, I know BOOOOSH DID IT!!!!! But people need to remember that the libs have had control of congress since 2007 - and curiously enough, that's when spending (which was bad enough) went through the ceiling. (along with idiotic laws like the light bulb ban)

Stock up everyone!
  4. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

**** libtards... does anybody else realize that these cfl's are going to cause major mercury pollution???

LOL, I guess mercury contaminated water is a small price to pay to save 75 watts of power.... GO GREEN!!!!
  5. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

CFL proponents say that the saving in electricity generated by coal offsets the mercury waste because coal power generation results in mercury emissions. That's fine, but the main question is if government is overstepping its authority by forcing the public to use a certain type of lighting source. (or frying oil, or car, etc. etc.)

My house has about 8 out of 10 bulbs being CFL's - the 2 out of 10 is where CFL's are not practical because of their shortcomings. (mainly long "warm up" time to full brightness) In a short time, I will lose that choice due to the libtard progressive ******rockets in our government. I think I'm doing pretty good to save the polar bears by using as many CFL's as I can possibly put up with because frankly, they SUCK.
  6. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

^^ Thats D O U C H E R O C K E T S ^^

7. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Righto! Let's all post the best ways to bypass the filters!!!!!!
  8. lordoflightaz

lordoflightaz Member

quit moaning

CFL may not be the answer but incandescent is really not the answer at all unless you have an "Easy Bake Oven". It is sad that they are putting a law into place to make you at least make an attempt to reduce out carbon footprint. Bright LED's that screw into sockets are out there now but they are expensive to buy but way cheaper in the long run.
  9. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Did I say that incandescent bulbs were "the answer" to anything? No I didn't.
    Did I say that 80% of the bulbs in my house are CFL? Yes I did.
    Did I say they SUCK? YES I DID AND YES THEY DO - just like libs like yourself.

People like yourself are all too willing to let your freedom slip away because you think it is fine (but "sad") that they put laws in place to "make people" reduce their "carbon footprint". If we weren't all so stupid they wouldn't need these laws like seat belt laws, cell phone laws, helmet laws, etc. Lemme guess, if only everyone else was a "forward thinker" (a fancy focus group term for "elite") like you, it would be a perfect society.

Next thing you know, the big government libtards will be banning fast food restaurants. Oh wait, they already have.

Seriously, when I first heard of the light bulb ban, I thought it was a JOKE. But when the libtards control congress, I guess anything is possible. Motorized bicycles will be outlawed in most states within a few years because of this sort of thinking. How could you disagree with a MB ban when you were behind laws like this light bulb ban? I guarantee there is someone in your state government that thinks these machines are "dangerous". And even if there isn't, all it takes is one "concerned libtard citizen" to call a politician or one fatal accident to make them act on our behalf for our own good. Just like they did with the light bulb ban you agree with.
  10. lordoflightaz

lordoflightaz Member

You didn't pay attention. We get these laws written because people keep using incandescent, because the bulb itself is cheap to buy. So that gives liberals a cause to promote. once that happens you can expect some law to show up. We get stupid laws from people that have a cause and free time.

When CFLs came out I think that they did a bad job not mentioning the mercury. There a lot of places to safely dispose of used bulbs. Home Depot to name one.

Glenn Beck did a show about CFLs way too funny, but what I expect from him.

"Ask this Old House" had a very good segment on lighting last week. It went over the related costs of light bulbs.

I think of we promote the goodness of newer lighting solution people will chose CFL and LED and leave my "Easy Bake Oven" alone. I guess I should start stocking up on incandescent to bootleg them.

I guess I better resign from the Republican Party
  11. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

If you think it is good that government forces people to make what you think is "the right choice", you are a "Arlen Specter" republican.

I have no party affiliation. All I can tell you is that I am moderate on social issues and conservative on fiscal issues. (a compassionate conservative, if you will...) Just a regular old freedom and liberty loving American that wants to choose to use a conventional light bulb where they are more practical than "alternative" lighting methods. That choice is being taken away, and I was told to quit moaning. Yep, just wear your seatbelt and quit moaning. Pretty soon it'll be turn in your guns and quit moaning. Drive this car with a 1.0 litre engine (0-60 in 22 seconds) and quit moaning. Lose weight or you'll disqualify yourself from universal health care - and of course, quit moaning!
  12. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Have to agree with vtec on the mercury emissions and leachate when CFL's are deposited in landfill; contaminating the water supply.
    I've heard those things leave a fair sized carbon footprint in their manufacture compared to incandescents, nullifing most of their power and carbon savings.

Hi intensity LED's are an alternative and if they are good enough to be used on Starship Enterprise, then they are good enough for me, save for the sparking and arcing evey time an earth tremor hits the area.