Converting an e-scooter to gas

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by lowracer, Jan 3, 2013.

1. lowracer

lowracer Member

I started my new scooter project.
    Recently I built a pusher trailer for a skateboard (more like a motorized fork) & then modified it to push a bicycle. The bicycle pusher proved pitiful & wore out the driven trailer tire within 10 miles (not enough weight on the driven wheel). It went back onto the skateboard as a weight bearing rear driver & worked pretty well, but where can you go on a skateboard? (I only rode it around my block)
    I found a Razor e325 electric scooter being sold on Craigs list for $20 with messed up electronics. The scooter is designed to hold up to 200 lbs & has a heavy duty steel frame & fat 3.00-4 wheels & tires (10"). I'll be doing a conversion to gas power using my tried & true Tanaka PF3300 w/ Pocketbike 5:1 transmission. Project goal is to be street legal in my State (<50cc, <2 hp, <30 mph).
    I ripped the electronics out & removed the 55 tooth freewheel. I threaded on a 18T BMX freewheel I had laying around. Now I just need to mount the pocketbike transmission using the uprights of the scooter frame above the rear tire.
    I mounted the 5:1 pocketbike transmission to a piece of 1/4" angle aluminum. This piece will eventually be cut down (towards the rear of the scooter). I've drilled 2 holes thru the front part of the 1/4" mount & thru the scooter frame cross member & bolted with 1/4" bolts & nylocks. I vice-grip'd a piece of steel bar to both the freewheel cog & transmission cog to insure correct chain alignment. I will probably reinforce the scooter frame member (rear fender mount), with some additional 3/16" steel bar and then some diagonal bracing from the axle dropout to the upright.
    Will post more pics as I find time to complete the mount.
    -Lowracer-

Attached Files:

2. Richard H.

Richard H. Member

3. lowracer

lowracer Member

Here's what I got done this morning between 7am-10:30am.

I still have more to do & I made a list.

1- install longer engine mounting bolt
    2- make 1 front transmission mount
    3- reinforce left side of rack
    4- install throttle cable
    5- install chain (& derailleur?)
    6- install foam grips (on order)
    7- test rear brake lever (v-type) & keep or switch to non-V
    8- install new rear tire (on order)
    9- cut & drill platform beams (under floorboard reinforcements)
    10- cut & drill wood deck platform (buy griptape?)
    11- cut rear fender & mount (keeps pants out of rear tire & chain)
    12- install expansion chamber (running forward along & under left side of platform)?
    13- reinstall engine tilted counterclockwise one position (if using expansion chamber)?
    14- cutoff battery mounting cage (under scooter)?

-Lowracer-

Attached Files:

4. lowracer

lowracer Member

I got the scooter together enough today to test drive it & let my daughter ride it around the neighborhood. She's 9 & didn't want to stop riding it....lol
    I started knocking some items off of my 'To Do' list.
    - Bought the two bolts I needed to mount the engine & transmission to my motor mount.
    - Installed the throttle cable
    - Switched rear brake lever (V-brake levers dont work well with band brakes)
    - Installed the chain & rear derailleur (properly routed chain around rear rack)
    - Cut, drilled & bolted metal for temporary platform feet area (will go w/wood probably)

I still have more to do to it, but its rideable & lots of fun.
    Its squirrelly compared to my refined MB's, but alot more stable than the motorized skateboard project I recently built. I could go far on one of these but will I?
    probably not...
    Good thing the chain didnt come off once! I think I got chain mgmt under control now...
    -Lowracer-

Attached Files:

5. lowracer

lowracer Member

Today (Sunday) it rained so I got to get most of the rest of my 'To Do' list knocked out on the scooter.
    - I reinforced the left side of the engine rack with metal.
    - Took a link out of the chain for improved rear derailleur position
    - Mounted a chain shield
    - added a front transmission mount
    Now, I just need the foam hand grips (on order), new rear tire (on order) & cutoff the under frame battery cage.
    Before the rain started, my daughter, son & I got a few laps around the block on it & this one is a keeper...
    Here is a pic of it today w/chain guard detail
    -Lowracer-

Attached Files:

6. lowracer

lowracer Member

Here's a pic of the 'Business End' of things.
    I got the new foam grips, rear tire/tube, & 50' of brake cable housing in the mail today :)
    Will install grips tomorrow...
    -Low-

Attached Files:

7. lowracer

lowracer Member

I mounted the foam grips & removed the headset & bearings for grease re-packing. The steering feels nice & smooth now...
    My kids have been having a blast riding this thing & taking turns. I have a business associate who will be bringing to work on monday a gas scooter that his son doesn't look at anymore & justs want to get rid of it.
    Hopefully its nice & I'll have 2...one for each kid.
    Cheers,
    -lowracer-

Attached Files:

8. lowracer

lowracer Member

I wanted to change my gearing to give more acceleration & less top speed.
    I took the stock 4 bolt flanged freewheel that came with the Razor & unbolted the #25 chain sprocket since I run std. bicycle chain 1/2" x 1/8" (#410). I had a 22T 4 bolt MTB sprocket in my spare parts bin (64 bcd) looking like it would line up perfectly with the existing freewheel holes. I had to cut away some extra aluminum material around each hole in the sprocket with my handy sawzall to get it perfectly onto the flange. Bolted right up & allowed me to go from 18T to 22T which effectively changes the top speed from 28mph to 23mph while giving much better off the line & roll on acceleration. These scooters in stock electric form do a max of 15 mph and feel very stable up to ~20 mph. Anything above that makes for a squirrely ride on normal roads. I was going to thread on a 5 bolt ACS Crossfire flanged freewheel I got for a different project with a 32T chainring, but that would be too much of a gear jump & only max out @ 16 mph.
    -Here are some pics-
    -Lowracer-

Attached Files:

9. zwebx

zwebx Member

That is so sweet, hope your kids are having some fun on it...

10. lowracer

lowracer Member

zwebx,
    Yeah my daughter has claimed it & really enjoys riding it.
    I built another one for my son out of an IZIP w/ bad electrics.
    I got it for $25 on CL & installed a HuaSheng 31cc 4 stroke.
    I'm working on 1 more for myself using an MTB frame/fork & a Subaru Robin EH035.
    Here are some pics of those.
    -Lowracer-

Attached Files:

11. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

Ha ha I've been there done that. http://www.gopednation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317400 http://www.gopednation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321032 they are fun as heck though! Good luck on your projects. I'm puting a goped 46cc engine on an Ezip trailz electric bike with a 5:1 pub trans, just got a goped though so its kinda been put on the back burner. But all I need is the fuel tank I want, cy460r GoPed engine and a throttle with cable... oh and total disassembly and install of the new components :) the bike is still pretty new and works fine as an electric but as you said their top speed is like 15 mph and bad range even on new cells. This is my replacement for my stolen custom Motobecane MB :(

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  12. lowracer

lowracer Member

dchevygod,
    Thanks.
    I liked your project on the goped forum.
    I may finish the newest scooter using the Fuji frame, or switch to this type BMX frame.
    I think the BMX frame is alot stronger.
    -Lowracer-

Attached Files:

13. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

wow we really are cut from the same cloth

I have a haro frame I was gonna build that looks just like the mongoose you have there. But I want to use a larger front wheel so I can have brakes! What is your plan for brakes on the 20" frame with 12.5" wheels?

14. lowracer

lowracer Member

I would install a rear band brake scooter wheel as a front wheel & slightly spread the fork to fit (non-suspension fork). Use a metal strap to hold the torque lever to the fork (like a coaster brake has).
    On the 2 scooter conversions I have now, 1 of them only has the rear band brake, but it stops really well.
    -Lowracer-

15. lowracer

lowracer Member

Here's the completed 'Bike to Scooter' project.
    I installed a Mitsubishi 43cc engine to power it & she runs great.
    The 'bike scooter' handles better than the other two scooters & is alot lighter.
    I've since sold the silver IZIP with the 4 stroke 31cc Huasheng engine & may have a buyer for this one.
    If I sell this one, I'll probably take a downhill full suspension mtb & turn it into a 12.5" wheel stand-up scooter just to see how cool it would be having 7" of suspension front & rear.
    -Lowracer-

Attached Files:

16. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

Low,

That is creative. Skyway makes a 12.5" wheel that has coaster brakes and is in the process of adding disc brakes. Problem would be finding a dealer.

http://www.skywaywheels.com/products_003.htm

Chris
    AKA: BigBlue

17. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

I like it man good job! I personally like the big front small rear chopper look ;) IMG_20130505_083826_591.jpg

I'd like to find a set of 24" shocks instead of the 26" that's on it but I like it. Its heavy duty for sure.

18. lowracer

lowracer Member

I just bought a new 12.5" scooter wheel off ebay for .99 + 10.00 shipping.
    The trick for me is to get both sides threaded, then it can be interchangeable front or rear.
    One side for a thread-on freewheel and the other side either a band brake or disc rotor converter.
    The width is 110mm so it can also be used in the front wheel position (spreading a std chromoly fork only 10mm's)
    -lowracer-

Attached Files:

19. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

I still have a mag rim from my Schwinn build. Its a front but you could just use the bottom of a 12.5" shock on a longer shock fork couldn't you? I just remembered that the stock front apse rims on the schwinn/ezip e1000 have a 6 bolt flange cast on em.

Last edited: May 5, 2013