cooling fan ?

Howdy Juliman. Some of the best ideas are "silly" Keep right on letting your mind wonder and sharing. I have a buddy in AZ who does, well did (he switched to 4 smokers) have a problem with over heating. We got to BS'in about it and I designed a cooling system for him based on a drip coffee maker. Have you ever soldered a pipe? all the heat draws water to the heat source. A modern coffee maker does the same thing. (no pump)

So, if you put a small radiator on the down tube behind the front wheel and wrap the head in copper tubing. Connect it to the in and outfall of the radiator, in theory, should circulate hot and cooled water. (LOL, I know "in theory")

I live in CT so hot is not a big problem but want to make one of these some day just to see. On the 2 smokers, I do see a power loss when they get hot.

Keep posting! If we were sane, we all would never have met. lol

you're right. Some of the best inventions were made by accident. sometimes a "crazy" idea turns out to be something great.
but this idea?
Why bother?
these motors were deisnged with cooling fins for a reason and they have been made this way since day 1.
They work perfectly fine the way they are.
if it aint broke, don't fix it.

you're right. Some of the best inventions were made by accident. sometimes a "crazy" idea turns out to be something great.
but this idea?
Why bother?
these motors were deisnged with cooling fins for a reason and they have been made this way since day 1.
They work perfectly fine the way they are.
if it aint broke, don't fix it.

You couldn't be more right. Is true. Ya can fix it to the point of no longer working. I push the envelope way to much, but is fun blowing stuff up. (hehe, when I have back-up parts!)

Was just thinking about this thread. The cooling system on the GX 50s and the HSs are some amazing work. I have trouble getting my Honda to a happy, hot temp. She no likey de cold. Runs like a banchie HOT. My 2 smokers, love it cool to cold. Hot does lose some power.

Last edited:
first of all, why would your motor overheat? It's air cooled is it not? if you are riding / moving, the air rushing past the cooling fins on the head will cool the motor.
and you say, you'd have to stop to let it cool down....actually a non running hot motor will only get hotter as it sits not running because there is no air flow going past the cooling fins to dissipate the heat.
motorcycle motors. lawnmower motors, weedeaters, go karts, minibikes, etc. , 2 strokes and 4 strokes have been built like this for a reason and they have been this way for many years....I have NEVER seen one overheat except when one is running too lean....and in that case, the motor usually just locks up.
unless your motor is totally surrounded by a fairing where no air can flow past the head, or if it is liquid cooled..there woudl be no need for a cooling fan.

Dont forget Some cars too.

Most small motors which have CARBII/EPA approval have a shroud and a blower (usually part of the flywheel) to force air over the fins. This provides a relatively steady air flow, and serves to maintain a more stable engine temperature. Which, in turn, provides a more stable environment for improved engine emissions.

"Emissions? We don need no stikin' emmissions!"

(big time welcome Juliman. If advent or invention were not needed, we would all be on Scooters, "real" MCs or if we had a bit of smart, our cars. lol)

Last edited:
Juliman, just rambling and in the fun of your thread. There is a Japanese phrase, "Shin-dow-goo" (SP, big time) It literally means "Demented Machine" But infers a device meant to make your life easier, but presents it's own host of problems. I really, really want to name a biz this. IMHO, describes MBs to a TEE! lol

Back