Cop car vs Large Dog

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SimpleSimon, Mar 26, 2010.

1. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

This is both funny and somewhat horrifying at the same time.

Dog chews the front off cop car!

Please, keep your dogs either in a secure fenced yard, or on a leash.

2. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I've had a very similar situation, albeit a little removed from a motor vehicle.

Maybe 3 weeks ago, i was riding my motored bike and a rottweiler jumped a fence and decided to try and attack the motor on my bike.

I was very lucky as the dog was going berserk and as i out accelerated the rabid creature, it managed to latch onto the very end of my jeans, tearing out the seam.

I'm sure the thing would have mauled me to death if the bike was a 48cc engine instead of a 69cc engine.

The dog just went berserk at the engine - i have no idea why, and it managed to jump a 4 foot fence.

3. professor

professor Active Member

Apparently the frequency of the engines excite them a lot, my 4 stroke does it to them, they are not running around loose here, like out in the country.
    I hear them barking and trying to lunge out against a leash as I go by. Don't get the same thing on a pedal bike.
  4. fm2200

fm2200 Member

I was in Texas in a border town riding my motorcycyle and a huge dog chased me like a cop driving an interceptor. I narrowly escaped, the dog teeth were only inches from my ankle, he kept lunging at me over and over. It happened a long time ago but I will never forget the incident.
  5. loquin

loquin Active Member

I've got one of the Sears 'Micro' tillers, similar to a mantis, with a 50cc (or thereabouts) 2-stroke motor on it. My Rottweiller goes bonkers when I till with it. Something about the buzzing sound, I think.
  6. loquin

loquin Active Member

7. Warner

Warner Member

My American Bulldog from years ago used to hate the sound of diesel engines....PARTICULARLY UPS trucks with diesel engines. He would just about yank your arm off if you were walking him and a UPS truck came by. Certain sounds set some dogs off.....that dog must have heard some type of noise coming from that cop car....

8. Elmo

Elmo Member

Years ago i had a bulldog that weighed 105 lbs. I had on my Stihl backpack leaf blower clearing leaves from the yard. The dog attacked the leaf blower and bit it up some. I think he thought something was attacking me and wanted to help me out. I put him up after that when leaf blowing.
  9. Warner

Warner Member

Hahaha...yeah, certain sounds can set them off. One of my two current dogs will attack the vacuum, but NOT the steam something's going on with the vacuum. Same dog will attack the push mower (lifting it off the ground by one of its wheels), but will back off if I yell at him not to. He just doesn't like certain sounds and must feel threatened by them. Remember, they hear a BUNCH of stuff we can't hear....

10. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

What a time to run out of doughnuts!
  11. chefdouglas

chefdouglas Member

I'm glad the cop was smart enough to stay in his car so he and the dog stayed safe. My grandfathers dog hated jeeps to the point that he would break door if one drove by. He didn't care the make or model, just the brand p@#$ him off. My dog loves the game "tug a puppy" but we use a rope not car to play.
  12. machiasmort

Did you hear the Judge? She mentioned what precipitated the attack.... I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the Cop gave one of the dogs a nudge with the bumper and the dogs said screw this! I'm sure they didn't look at the car and say HMMmmm, Looks like a mighty good bumper there Guss... Wha'da'ya say we help overselves to a bite....

You can plainly see that they were playin when they finnally got it off and chased eachother.
  13. Warner

Warner Member

I'd bet my next paycheck that if the cop had gotten out of the car, the dog would have come up and been friendly to him. He was set off by the car....I'd BET that he wouldn't have been agressive to the human inside the car. He knew there was a guy inside the car, and made no agressive acts directed at the driver....just the car. We'll never know, but that would be my bet.

14. machiasmort

Then again, you never know... Pitbulls hate Cops... You never see them hang out together, as K-9's. They are always in drug houses. Most of the time you read about them it's because of fighting.

LoL My buddy had two and they were some of the smartest dogs I've seen. This Doberman I have now rivals them, but these pit were incredible.
  15. Warner

Warner Member

You can't be serious about "pitbulls hate cops" can you? Pitbulls, like ANY other dog, will pick up reactions of it's owner. If a dog's owner acts a certain way in certain situations, the dog will take his queue from that reaction. Sometimes we have reactions that we don't even notice, nor would any person around us notice, but the dogs pick up on it. That's like saying a certain breed of dog doesn't like a certain race of people.....ridiculous. In 20+ years of keeping pit bulls and bulldog breeds, I've never had a single dog "hate cops" or "hate (insert race)", because *I* don't hate cops or people because of whatever race they might be. Dogs feed off of their owners reactions.....period.

16. SimpleSimon

I 100% agree, Warner.

The man makes the dog, whatever it becomes, always. As it happens, one of Shreveport's K-9 units is a black cop, with two pitbulls that ride with him. Two of the most astonishingly well behaved, friendliest dogs it has ever been my pleasure to know. Who, on a quiet command, can and will tackle anything - but only on command, and as soon as the person submits and quits fighting,they back off and guard.

In this neighborhood everybody knows them, and almost everybody likes them. Those that don't usually have personal behavioral issues of their own.
  17. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I agree with you SS

This comment is relevant to animals/pets as well as children.
    My mother always used to say: i don't need to see how the parents behave, i only need to see the behaviour of their children or pets, that tells me all i need to know!

People say that you can't train cats, but my mother trained her cats to obey any command, but then again she used the same methods for her pets as she did for her children: a good paddling on the backside fixes everything.
    No talking, no extended dialogue, no long winded arguements, just a simple BAM, and then another BAM if the message wasn't understood the first time.
    Her cats were fast learners, not to mention her kids.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  18. SimpleSimon

That is called negative reinforcement, and while it can be effective in curbing unwanted behavior, it is far less effective in instilling desired learned behaviors. As a rule, if teaching a new behavior to any animal (which definitely INCLUDES children), the learning process will be accelerated by positive reinforcement (rewards). If trying to suppress an innate behavior (like lieing) a combination of negative reinforcement when the behavior is displayed, and positive reinforcement when the behavior is curbed on command, is most effective.
  19. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Ahh, now i understand why the cats spend most of their waking hours with their tails inbetween their legs, although perfectly well behaved.

My mum always said: if my children were as well behaved as my cats, i would feel like i've achieved something in life :grin5:

Just goes to prove that good pet behaviour is made possible by liberal use of a decent and frequent paddling on the backside.
    If you are having problems with your kids, use the same treatment on them - i guarantee they will be transformed by the experience and made into perfectly respectful and well behaved people.

20. machiasmort

I was just stirring trouble. If anybody has known somebody that has owned a Pit, they are very loyal and smart dogs... I'm a huge fan of them.