Exhaust copper tubing as exhaust?

mechanicojoe

Local time
3:10 AM
so im rebuilding my chopper to a mini chopper and not a bike:whistle:
I think most people have seen the thunder pipes barry on ebay makes.
well i dont have money right now but i got copper tubing and joints.
i was thinking of just cutting a spare muffler where it joines the engine to the muffler.
i would then just put some peices on and sna, flux, and then soldier. but people have said that it will melt the soldier and pipe really fast but they where talking about cars. whats the temp that the engine puts out at 80ccs?
i would then spray it with high temp exhaust paint and then put on exhaust wrap.
any ideas?

I can't see any real problems with your idea...infact it's a good idea.The temperatures the exhaust reaches for solder would be fine,i would just be concerned with the strength of solder.
Better to silver solder,or even better to braze........i'm a big brazing fan.

copper

It should work, as long as theres no joints too close to the actual exhaust outlet. It takes about 650 degrees F to melt solder and I do not think it gets that hot on the exhaust.Make sure you use plumbers solder and not electronics solder.
You can do a test by cutting a piece of solder and placing it on top of a section of the pipe you have on now , start up ,warm up and see if it melts, it shouldnt.

Last edited:
BTW....it's a good idea with any joins to put an inner sleeve between the two....strenghten things up.

I can't see any real problems with your idea...infact it's a good idea.The temperatures the exhaust reaches for solder would be fine,i would just be concerned with the strength of solder.
Better to silver solder,or even better to braze........i'm a big brazing fan.

Will brazing work with copper??

I guess it could, but the problem I ran into with relatively thin brass and copper (like pipe as oposed to solid plate) is that the brazing flame can burn through before you get good flow of the brazing rod.

Will brazing work with copper??
To tell u the truith i'm NOT 100% sure myself,but with anything like this u DON'T take someones word on something.....u experiment around with offcuts & see how successful u are.
If your not happy then it's always Plan B.

I agree good idea. We devised a copper exhaust on a riding mower. Exhaust held up great but the hi temp paint burnt off after about the 5th use. I think the exhaust wrap would be a winner though.

Back