Cranbrook Build #1

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by Philllthy, May 28, 2015.

  1. Philllthy

    Philllthy New Member

    While window shopping on Amazon I stumbled upon this kit. "80cc two-stroke motorized bicycle conversion" it read. I IMMEDIATELY was sold. I thought back to my childhood. "If ONLY i could have an engine on my bicycle!" every kids dream. So, admittedly foolish, I purchased it with no further research.

    BUILD ONE. impulse buy.

    The engine promptly came in the mail and I was left to find a bicycle. Being more of a do-er and less of a thinker, rather than looking for a community of Motored Bike builders, I set forth to my neighborhood Walmart with a crisp Benjamin in my pocket looking for a cheap cruiser.

    What I found was the Cranbrook.. $80. SOLD.

    Still in go-mode, I rushed home with my bicycle, opened my box-o-parts and started slapping them on in the most logical order i could dream of (Of course without taking photos). By the time the sun set I had a vanilla cranbrook with my engine kit mounted and running.
    IMG_20150427_185014_nopm_.jpg

    IT WORKS. Start to finish, I was "done" in about 6 hours. I rode it a few times and was happy with it. But something felt like it was missing. It seemed to "Out of the Box". i had not personally selected anything but the handlebars on this bike. It was not my own.

    SO... like I do with everything else, I started trying to fix things that weren't broken.

    I decided i did not like the plastic throttle that came with the kit and decided that it needed something a bit beefier. I purchased a generic aluminum motorcycle twist throttle. and some comfy Oury grips that would soon match the leather saddle I had in mind. Unfortunately the stock throttle cable did not like the new assembly as much as I did, so I had to go with one from a Honda XR-70 .
    20150528_125926.jpg

    A few more rides in I decided that the OEM Huffy rear wheel was not built to the quality that I vainly imagined I required. I had problems with the hub locking up and the bearing races trying to back themselfs out at high RPMS. At this point I began to regret starting the entire project with a Walmart bike as the base, But I had passed the point of no return. I will make it work.

    The next upgrade was a chrome rear wheel with a Shimano coaster-brake hub. ( I soon look forward to ditching the red front one for a match to this)
    I also added a Bi-pod kickstand

    20150520_213633.jpg
    20150528_125858.jpg
    At this point, I have a vision. I know the aesthetic that id like the bike to take once its finished. All that i need is time a materials.

    THINGS TO COME
    *Custom front springer (indian style)
    *Leather saddle
    *Chrome front wheel
    *Custom fabricated mounting brackets welded to frame
    *Lowered rear end
    *Stainless gas tank to fit in frame. (in the works)
    *static mounted bipod kickstand ( Ditch the bolt on.)
    * NO MORE RED. ADD MORE CHROME. haha

    TO BE CONTINUED....:detective:
     

  2. Timbone

    Timbone Active Member

    I like your style, in particular your handlebars. I like them low!
     
  3. Philllthy

    Philllthy New Member

    Thanks Timbone! i am on the fence about the bars. I do like the low bars, but I think I will go with something a bit different.

    Is it just me or are upside down handlebars kind of cheesey?
     
  4. Philllthy

    Philllthy New Member

    WEEK 2 OF BUILD: Broken studs for all.

    Today i went out to tinker with the bike; Tighten bolts, wiggle wiggly things, fantasize about how it SHOULD look.

    I found something quite unfortunate. One of the Studs on my lower mount has shear right at the casting. JOY:-/:-/:-/ I was showing my buddy (who is also building a bike) my problem and he discovered he ALSO had sheared a stud, but on the upper mount.

    Looks like I will have some extracting to do tomorrow at work.
    20150528_132923.jpg

    Here is our sad pile of engine. One step forward 2 steps back
    20150528_191322.jpg
    .
    The Squad
    20150528_125832.jpg
     
  5. Timbone

    Timbone Active Member

    Idea: if you cannot successfully removed the sheared stud, drill another hole in the area above or below that damaged area, maybe going with a slightly bigger tap, say, a 1/4"-20. Then you can bolt both studs into a mounting plate and pull that tight with a hefty u-bolt to the seattube.

    I think the style in motorcycle populism is the small, cafe racer inspired motorcycle so flat or flipped bars are very cool right now.
     
    Philllthy likes this.
  6. Philllthy

    Philllthy New Member

    Broken Stud Extraction

    I ended up taking my engine to work to try to get the broken stud out. I just had to put a little ball of weld right on the top of the broken stud and back it out with some pliers. it works surprisingly well
    20150605_102131.jpg
    20150529_092352.jpg

    Then it was time to take to the plasma table and design a better motor mount, to prevent this from happening in the future
    20150529_094210.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
     
  7. bluegoatwoods

    bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

    It looks to me like you're gonna do just fine. Good work.
     
Loading...