crank seal

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by zippinaround, May 31, 2016.

1. zippinaround

zippinaround Active Member

hello all been a while since i logged in here and cant find the thread im looking for maybe someone can help out? i think my crank seal has either popped out or blown but is a relatively new engine so i think it just popped out from trying to start when flooded

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

if it looks good all the way around, I'd just pop it back in & try it

3. zippinaround

Whats the best way to stop the engine from turning to loosen that screw to get the small gear off for a proper look

4. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

place a 4.5mm allen wrench thru chain links just next to sprocket

Timbone likes this.
  5. zippinaround

will try later this evening thanks crassius

6. Greg58

Greg58 Member

I've used a wedge of wood between the gears, if you have the flat head screw use a large blade screw driver or impact driver to loosen.

7. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

its usually the one under the magneto that goes. its only a few mm thick, and neither has proper lips anyways. best to replace both with a "2RS" type... ie, fish it out, take it to a bearing shop. i vaguely recall 28x17 as the size.

lump of wood in the gears.

rope in the plug hole.

brass/copper/timber in the ex port(really rough)

jam the chain on the sprocket.

wind a loose length of chain round the sprocket.

stick a round object between case and sprocket...

plenty of ways to skin a cat!

8. zippinaround

Its not the magneto side its the gears side , i briefly tried allen wrench in chain ,broke my chain haha lump of wood in gears just chewed it through , will try some of your options later headsmess thanks

9. Greg58

Greg58 Member

10. HeadSmess

FurryOnTheInside likes this.
  11. Greg58

Greg58 Member

If you can find a vendor that ships to the U.S that looks like a good seal , or try a local auto parts store with someone who accually know how to find parts, usually a mom and pop independent store not the chain stores. The big chain store employees only know how to find what the computer tells them.

12. zippinaround

13. HeadSmess

that link i provided is from the UK... sheesh, cant you read ebay listings yet? :p

the original seals SUCK, big time. they dont even have lips!

(then how do they suck, haha?)

auto places may, but its an unusual size, whereas a bearing shop should have them.

ebay searches will dig them up way cheaper(try nitrile rather than vitron, etc)... but thats the size you want, right there in that link.

14. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

Sounds like it could be a good idea to replace them both at the start. I wouldn't want to be trying to replace the seals out on a ride.
    I found the UK eBay listing on UK eBay, just used the words in the item title.. £8.50 each. Bit steep for a seal but I don't think I want to go riding without my lips! :eek:

15. HeadSmess

mmm, 8.50 is about what i paid for 10.

or about $17 AU... dont know the post, it was ages ago, link in my email receipt no longer working...

16. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

Just wondering, how many of the ten seals have you needed per engine? Or in other words, do the lipped replacement seals ever fail or will they outlast the engine?

17. HeadSmess

i still have 8, somewhere in a bag... they were cheaper to buy like that!

lifetime is up to the shaft surface. of course, they will eventually die of old age... say, twenty years?

18. zippinaround

Can you find the bag and post me one hahah

19. gary55

gary55 Active Member

Ebay, sunmotorparts, 4.99 a set. Shipped from Miami Fl. Bind the gears where they meet at the top with a flat blade screw driver. A cordless drill works for me on the screw. Might wana check that float needle.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  20. 45u

45u Active Member

The left seal under the mag is very thin and can blow out easy. This is why I recommend using this part that comes in the Grubee motors as I had the same problem and this will help a lot to keep from blowing the seal out. It goes under the stator coil and works on all motors I have tired so far.

$2.99 From these folks plus shipping. They sell seals for $1.99 each. All ways keep an extra set on hand.
    https://www.motorizedbicycle.com/electronic-parts/b46-pl-66-inner-magneto-electric-seal-66cc.html

[​IMG]