Cruiser with Staten Friction Drive Mitsubishi TLE43

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by loquin, Jan 11, 2008.

1. loquin

loquin Active Member

An inexpensive cruiser. I figured I would give the concept a whirl with a low investment first)

Living in the Sanoran desert, we don't have to worry about rain causing the drive wheel to slip too much!

The motor will push me along at about 25-27 MPH (and, I'm an ex-defensive tackle!)

Attached Files:

2. sensationpdx

sensationpdx Member

Thats a nice clean installation. Was that a kit or did you make it?
  3. mickey

mickey Guest

I second that, very clean and neat looking. How is the balance?
  4. azbill

azbill Active Member

nice build ! :D
    looks like a nice ride :D
  5. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Nice ride. I've got the same setup on my Trek. Unfortunately, here, it's a seasonal ride. I can't tell from the picture, do you have stabilizer bars on both sides?
  6. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Curious as to how that double bun seat is treating you? My first build was a cheapie cruiser and I still haven't had too many problems with it. Looks good!
  7. kerf

kerf Guest

That's a neat installation. The TLE43 is super quite and smooth, good choice.
  8. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

Looks nice and simple. Good for you dude sweet ride! How sturdy does the Staton kit feel? They're tempting...
  9. kenspice

kenspice Guest

*moddy edit*

That is a nice looking bike!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2008
  10. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Mitsubishi sure does make a nice looking,clean,compact unit and from what i hear their very good performance wise engines...the only thing i'm not keen on is it hanging off the side.I know it's unavoidable and EVERY drive system has it's own unique set of problems/drawbacks.
    You did well man....happy riding.

BTW...what did u think of Staton as a company to buy from?
    I'm just about to order 3 engines from them and wouldn't mind honest customer comments.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2008
  11. beach cruzin

beach cruzin Guest

looks like a nice mode of transpo
  12. loquin

loquin Active Member

Dave Staton was good to deal with. I asked several questions; he pointed me to the right documentation, & answered them all. So, I ordered the kits.

The two installs I did (mine & the wife's) are both done with one stabilizer; you can buy & install a second one for about $10-15 I believe. You would just need to drill an additional, matching hole on the right side of the motor mount channel. The motor mount channel is a nice solid piece of aluminum, & I haven't seen the need for a second stabilizer.

One of the real handy things I found out is that the rubber electrical tape, (the kind that bonds only to itself,) is GREAT for this sort of thing. (I'm not talking about regular, vinyl electrical tape. I'm talking about the rubber stuff, where you peel off a liner. It only sticks to itself, and it fuses to form a single layer of rubber. It worked great around the top of the fork, where the mounting bracket clamps on. It also is a very quick means to secure cables to the frame.

The double seat is great. Your weight is more distributed, you don't risk nerve damage affecting areas you really don't want to risk, and as each half swivels independently, it is very comfortable when peddling.

As far as the balance - it is a little heaver to the left, and when riding, the bike is probably a degree or two to the right.

I have only two issues with the Staton kit. I got the standard throttle, and you're squeezing a short, two finger trigger grip; after 10-15 minutes, it can cause tiredness in the throttle fingers. I'm probably going to extend it. (or replace it with a twist throttle)

The second issue is that the Mitsubishi motor has an built-in kill switch. I've got to pop the cover off to see what I have to do to add a remote kill switch on the handlebars.

Other than these two issues, I've been real happy with the kit, and the motor. It's got good power and runs smoothly. It's a little louder than the wifes honda, but, not obnoxiously. And, when we run at the same speed, I'm backed off a bit, so it's not much louder at all.

Once I get the original tires worn down & changed to ones with a smoother tread, it should be REALLY smooth.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  13. loquin

loquin Active Member

BTW. If anyone's interested, I've found an English version of the Mitsubishi motor manual (well, actually Japanese and English) and I could post it in the next few days.

FYI, the TLE-43 is quite clean - it meets California emissions
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  14. kerf

kerf Guest

I've run that same drive in the past, now the wife has it, great little unit. The twist grip throttle is the way to go and the kill switch is easily connected into the wire from the old one, I would keep both switches active. If you have an Academy Outdoor Sports where you live, they have a 26" fat smooth road tire from Bell that works great.
  15. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

16. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Very nice build, so clean. Actually looks like a factory install. Great job!
  17. kerf

kerf Guest

Were you posting on the old Staton forum? I think I remember you and torques.
  18. kenspice

kenspice Guest

Hi loquin,
    I am very interested in the manual! I could not find it anywhere and would definitely like to see that post! Do you know where to get a parts break-down also? Thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  19. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Me too. Me too. I did a bit of searching and couldn't find a manual.
  20. loquin

loquin Active Member

Hi All.

I've posted a thread here with the TLE Owners Manual, as well as a white paper that Mitsubishi wrote detailing the unique features of the TLE series that result in low exhaust emissions.

(kerf - yes, I did post several times on the old Stanton forums. I sent an email to Dave, suggesting that he recruit some mods to patrol the forum; apparently he decided to drop the forum instead...)