Cushy for Tushy :: Bike Seat Discussion

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by Timcycle, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Timcycle

Timcycle Guest

What bicycle seats are recommended. I need a larger spring seat.

I was at Walmart and they sell one from BELL.
    But I looked it up on the internet and the reviews were very bad.

What have you found to be an excellet cost effective seat,
    larger and with spring/shocks?

2. spunout

spunout Member

I Google'd "bicycle seat-reviews" and got 1,300,000 hits. i found a Bell here: http://www.amazon.com/Bell-GelTech-Ultimate-Comfort-Bicycle/dp/B000667LV4 for 20bux, and is rated 4 out of 5 stars, from the 9 people that rated it.
    I am using a similar Bell, and after a year of daily abuse the material is finally starting to shred. But the springs are intact, and my caboose doesnt go numb even after a 30+ mile cruise.
    Happy :mrgreen:

3. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

[​IMG]

Left to right- seat from Wal Mart Avalon, 10" Cloud Nine gel ($35) which is standard Sun Cruiser seat, (2) 12" gels with faux leather (preferred) or cloth.

My bike dealer will swap for the 12" upon installation for $10 extra.

I use a 12".

The shock absorber seat post ran me about $18.

4. Butch

Butch Guest

5. Seats I've known

HI all I use the Velo Web-Spring in black or in flames, and the 3-wheel saddle that I have sold many of. Here is a pic of the size differential
    [​IMG]
    Now I use a better padded version of the largest saddle there on almost everything, as you will see here.
    [​IMG]

The large one I sell for 35.00 and it is a steel deck, and the springs do work for me.

Mike

6. Timcycle

Timcycle Guest

Thanks all

Thanks all.

I like those shock posts for the seat.

Do they really work very well?

7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

so long as there's not too much angle to your seattube, yes they work very well. i've had the adjustable type that come stock on specialized brand & i was very impressed. maybe all are adjustable, dunno, but it sure did the trick.

8. azbill

azbill Active Member

I use a suspension seatpost on my mountain bike
    2nd mtn bike I've built...swear by them, they help a lot in combo with a sprung seat
    quite a while back, I recommended one to somebody, and he pm'ed me about how much nicer it was
    unless you are a very heavy person, the 20$ ones will do you fine
    the ones I've seen all had adjustability

9. JE

JE Guest

I use a cloud Nine seat when I ride my bike on long distance rides and switch over to a schwinn road bike seat when I display my bike at car shows.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. I got the bell seat which overall does a good job but after riding even 20 miles,you understand why mopeds have those humongus seats. It's simply not a bicycle anymore. One day I'll build a seat out of 2x4 and pad it up,extending to my bike rack.
    What's cool about my bell seat though is when my bum get's numb,after a long ride I get pins and needles.....there.....and.....I like it. :D

11. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

12. mickey

mickey Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2007
  13. (fixored)

109 dollars! But it does look cool.

14. DougC

DougC Guest

Overstuffed wide seats frequently don't work well for typical bicycle riding because they tend to interfere with pedaling. This is why they get bad reviews by normal bicycle reviewers.

On a gas-engined motorized bike however, most of the time you probably aren't pedaling at all. This means that perfect leg extension isn't needed, so you can lower the seat 3-4 inches below where you'd have it on a non-motorized bike, and the seat will be a lot more comfortable to sit on. If you get a quick-release seat post this adjustment is easy to do, and it's easy to change if your engine should quit and you have to pedal back home.
    --------
    I put a cheap ($60) motorcycle bobber seat on mine, but it's not that much better overall than a bicycle seat really. The motorcycle seat pan is a bit larger and totally flat, which makes it somewhat more comfortable when not pedaling--but I can tell it's going to HURT if I ever have to pedal that thing 20 or 30 miles home.
    ~

15. reddbak

reddbak Guest

I had a lot of issues with seats in the early days with copping sharp pains in a damaged spine from bone-shakers. Best saddle I ever used and still do was jig-sawed from a moulded plastic outdoor chair. I hope to lay some neoprene rubber over it down the track, but a thin foam layer and vinyl covering is velly comfy for now.

16. nwguy

nwguy Guest

17. Hollywood

Hollywood Guest

I really like the spring ride you get from the large hairpen that Roland sells at Spooky Tooth Cycles.That with shock seatpost you get one sweet ride.

18. loquin

loquin Active Member

Easy Seat II

IMO, the Easy Seat II gets two thumbs up.

I've used both the original easy seat, and the II, and the II has a width adjustment - you can slide the two halves of the seat in or out to match the butt in question! Also, it has better padding.

It provides support under each cheek, without directly pressing against the tailbone, or the groin area. (Meaning, no potential nerve or circulatory involvement in sensitive areas) And, as each side swivels individually, it doesn't get in the way of peddling.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  19. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Bill, that was me you insisted that I get the shock post and they definatly do a wonderfull job but since I am 250 lbs I also need a good seat and I know if you don't have the crotch relief valley, then in my book it is worthless. The shock workes for big bumps but not for steady vibration. I think I am going to invest in the split butt seat to add to the suspended shock seat.

20. I'd love to see a pic of that and how did you mount it up?