Custom grocery getter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeckler

Local time
8:16 PM
I've spent the last few months working on this. It used to be a 2 seat kids trailer. I removed the upper frame and nylon cover and built the box out of 1x pine, glued and screwed. I applied a coat of black stain and satin polyurethane to give it some protection. Finally I painted a .50cal ammo can flat black and mounted it to the front. I was going to do 2 .30cal's on the sides, but the surplus store didn't have any. The can is good for small stuff, and maybe in the future will double as a battery box if I decide to light it up.
Maiden voyage was uneventful. It tows great and I've already used it to bring home about 30 pounds of pool supplies. I might try and fit some 26" wheels to raise it up a bit. It's got 16inchers on it now.

gpi7.jpg

My advise is to keep the wheels as small in diameter as possible, thereby reducing it's ride height and making the trailer more resistant to over turning.

This is my version, which uses the base (frame) of a Burley Tailwagon pet trailer. The box is made from 2/16 plywood panels and 5mm thick 30 x 50mm right angle aluminium; making it strong enough for a grown person to sit on:

This is the trailer with the 16" wheels replaced by 12" wheels, which makes it much more stable:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?41878-Heavy-Haulage-cartage-capacity-that-amateur-s-can-t-match

Nice trailer OP, nice craftsmanship. 1 comment though, notice how the wheels are towards the back of the trailer? They need to be centered or alot of the weight will be put on the tongue, that's a no no with trailers. Becareful if you carry any weight and distribute the load towards the rear. Nice trailer.

Yea, it sucks that the frame manufacturer put them that far back. Though I'm sure they did it so that it could be disconnected from the bike without the kids having to get out, otherwise it would flip backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back