Sprockets Custom Made Sprocket Adapter

Scootmeister

Local time
5:46 AM
Sometimes you can't find exactly what you need for your MB and you just have to make it yourself. With a few basic tools and a little time thinking things through, you can make a component that meets your needs as well as a vendor supplied item. In my case, I needed to be able to easily swap sprockets on my jackshaft to change gear ratios. I had a standard 17 tooth sprocket with 5/8" bore that resulted in gearing that was too low for cruising. So, I purchased a keyed 5/8" steel collar with set screw and 1 1/8" reset ($4), a 3 1/4" diameter steel washer with 1 1/8" bore ($.89), five 5mm x .80mm hex head bolts (on hand), and a 24 tooth bolt on sprocket from Sick Bike Parts($5.95). Replacement sprockets are available from SBP up to 48 tooth. The first step was to dress the washer bore to a true 1 1/8" since the galvanized coating reduced it slightly. The second step was to carefully mark the 5 mounting holes on the washer. I used a chart in the Craftsman manual shown in the photo to determine that a 11/64 drill is appropriate for a 5mm x .80mm tap. Once the holes were drilled and tapped I removed the galvanized coating from the back of the washer and spot welded the washer to the collar. Locktite could be used to secure the mounting screws, but I will use locking nuts instead. This $11.00 adapter works great and gives me the flexibility I need. DSCN2968.jpgDSCN2969.jpgDSCN2967.JPGDSCN2970.JPG

Good job!, it's not that easy to mark and drill holes so accurately with basic tools. I did something similar on my bike although not for the same reason, it never occurred to me you could buy a huge washer like that, I turned mine myself.

Thanks, Perilous. Now you've made me envious, being able to turn things with a lathe! You can find these large washers with either a zinc coating or a galvanized one. The zinc ones are better for this type of application because they have a more uniform surface, but I try to use what I have lying around in my junk bins. My washer is 1/4" thick so there are plenty of threads to hold the mounting screws.

Back