CVT CVT Transmission?

I could have been a bit more clear.

I was taking into account the gear reduction when the drive sprocket is smaller than the wheel sprocket and the 1.83:1 fixed gearbox reduction. If you have an 11 tooth drive sprocket and a 56 tooth wheel sprocket- there is a reduction of 5.09:1, not even taking into account the CVT.

With 11 to 56 tooth that and the CVT, at 3:1, the ratio is 15.27:1 and at 1:1, it is 5.09:1. The CVt would replace the fixed gearbox.

The statement of mine you quoted was a comparison of the CVT to the fixed 1.83:1 Grubee gearbox. Many people are familiar with that here, so I threw that in. Also many people here are familiar with changing their rear sprocket to affect pulling power versus top speed. That is why I equated it to the sized of rear sprockets. I was taking into account the 1.83:1 reduction, then comparing what the rear sprocket would have to be to equate to the CVT at 3:1 through 1:1. That would be from a 93 tooth sprocket to a 32 tooth sprocket- a perfect range as far as I am concerned.

...and the Grubee gearbox is the standard one for the Skyhawk II 4 stroke kit I have- they are on eBay from time to time.

Woah. I see that tranny (first link) attached to the rear frame on bike connected via happy time by chain on one end then other end modified by sproket to mount to drive wheel.Or better yet. The drive sprocket on the Happy time is connected to drive sprocket of tranny making it one unit with sprocket output,eliminating the need for any other mounts for it should hold up on it's own by being attatched to the happy Time. I see a 30 tooth rear sprocket for with 1/3 reduction it's still a hill climber and when it's 1 to 1,look out.
Someone here will do this and it's gonna be glorious.
Someone in China's already designing this I bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=2651
I'm looking at this and I figure the left/right mounting is not going to affect the final output wheel direction... and also, I wonder what is the output gear teeth's number... The 7:1 gear box ratio is too much even for a 32 teeth.. won't help much on the top speed...

anyhow... any1 tried this kit yet?

Interesting thoughts but how would you start the Happy Time engine when thinking of using the CVT?

Andrew

On my CVT project I just have to assemble the converted drive axle and mount a fuel tank, throttle and chain tensioner and of course then there will be several adjustments needed after all that.

I have been to busy with other things to finish the last little piece but also the most critical piece.

Interesting thoughts but how would you start the Happy Time engine when thinking of using the CVT?

Andrew

:cool:a centrifugal clutch on the happy time engine would do the trick.

maybe a cordless drill or screwdriver could twist a 5/8" nut on the jackshaft end.

or a 2"-3" pulley or a BMX foot peg could be bolted onto the jackshaft and a rope used for pullstart.

i wouldn't use a metal friction drive roller. at engine speed, some are as abrasive as a bench grinder.:eek:

This CVT from Staton works great on Zack. It is a solid way to mount a pocket bike engine. The ratios seem good, but I modified the sprocket that came on it to an 8 tooth. It gets further reduced by a 28 tooth on the jackshaft to a 14 tooth then a 22 on the rear wheel. Good take off & 35 mph easily. They are low cost too.

Has anyone been able to attach a CVT to a motor from thatsdax, kingsmotors, or an ebay kit?

Back