Cycling a bicycle with a 4 stroke fitted

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Derek o brien, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Just wondering how cyclable are thses bikes with engines fitted, was thinking of doing some cycle touring a bit of cycling, a bit of motoring , large touring bike with 700c/29inch wheels?

2. Growl

Growl New Member

The friction drive motors are the easiest to pedal, being that the motor & drive is 100% isolated from the drive train when disengaged.

I have no hands on experience with chain drive bicycle motors yet but am leaning to using a freewheel hub, because I want to be able to pedal unfettered.

3. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Well-Known Member

How much Q factor is acceptable? That's my first reason I am not planning a four stroke engine for my touring and towing bike. I will just have to do all the best 2 stroke sound reduction mods that I have read about here.

I'm going for a freewheel (8 speed +) drive too, but it will not remove the parasitic drain from the engine&jackshaft chains and the clutch assembly. (it could with a "southpaw" freewheel on the jackshaft, and pull/electric start)
    It will allow the bike to freewheel downhill before the clutch lever is pulled in, so that I will _hopefully_ be able to motor uphill and get the speed up as I crest the hill and launch into the downhills without any tricky clutch lever operation.
    It is possible to have the jackshaft chain removable without tools in a few seconds to make the pedal drive "totally unfettered" though this still involves stopping by the roadside.

Using the Sick Bike Parts jackshaft system with multiple chainrings (front gears) is a bit more expensive (double row freewheel bearing required) and tricky but there's a few members have done it before. Even if it turns out that it won't work for engine power, I think it would still be great to use the smaller chainring for the engine and shift under pedal power to the big chainring for pedalling the downhills. I already bought a 56t time trial ring anyway so worth a try haha. :)

4. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

I concur with Growl that friction motors offer the least resistance for conventional cycling. You can actually lift the friction roller off the tire with most kits.
    If you prefer electric, go with a "Geared" hub motor. They will actually free-wheel.
    Direct drive hub motors inflict a slight drag while pedaling.