Cyclone Board track Racer runs!

IMG_4414.jpg

Here's a video of it running

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F5pKiEDRkk

Who done the seat cover for you/ I've been watching you build this through your blog. That is you isn't it (board track racer replicablog)Do you want to fab me a tank like that? I pay pretty good.r

Last edited:
The engine is a 12.5 HP Vanguard V-twin. Flywheel fins were turned down as well as most of the bolt heads. I'm running a Comet 40-series converter. I just can't see an 80cc sitting in there, can you?

The seat isn't a cover - it's a seat made by a guy who has done them for 40yrs for actual BTR restorations. Not cheap but there is no other way IMO to get the right look.

Timmy, I think "Halcyon" is peppering the forums offering to build stuff. He even PM'd me with an offer. You might try him. No offense but IMO, I doubt many would pay what it would require to build this particular tank - too many hours and more complex to build than it looks! But what isn't? Even a simple custom motorcycle tank is about $650+ if you try to price them....... and it doesn't take any less work knowing it will sit only on a bicycle frame.

Thanks for the comments! Lot's of info(several years worth) in the blog.
Dave
KC

The Vanguard twin came from a commercial riding mower? It looks great with the fan cowl removed.

I've been following your blog over the last 7 or 8 months so I know how much work and detail you put into this bike. Awesome job with visioning something and sitting down and actually creating it.

bored track madness (not a typo)

Nice frame and tank fabrication...
The engine STILL looks way to modern, but I agree that a China 80(66cc) would look even more outta place
The downward pointing bar ends cant be practical, but its still a nice piece.

Buz,
I'm "bored" with the BTR labels too. 99% of the time, in the MC world it's a sportster that has, at best, 70's styling or, on these sites, a rockabilly-looking cantilever frame with the bars flipped. Neither has any soul of a BTR IMO. My goal, if you find my blog, was to build a bike proportional to the real thing - to break the mold typically used on these sites. The engine wouldn't have mattered but in the spirit of originals, it had to be a twin. HP-wise, I think the power is close to many of the period(though not the Cyclone at an estimated 45HP!). I cant recall but the formulas based on HP and gearing yielded a theoretical top speed of 80+ mph. Again, not something of the 80cc world.
Nonetheless, I have yet to hear the comment that the 80cc engines are too modern looking on a this type of site - they are the mainstay. I honestly think this engine looks no newer. Have to wonder if you would have made that comment if I had plopped the typical 80cc in there. I also have not searched for your projects so I'm not sure of your abilities. Touche'.
Honestly(and somewhat arrogantly), if I were to spend the money on a period motor(and considered it), other compromises would not have been made in the overall design, the whole thing would have been taylored around that, and you certainly wouldn't have seen the thing posted on this site!
BTW, what on this thing does look practical?
Dave
KC

Back