"damaged cylinder" /review of Power-King 80

G

gone_fishin

someone briefly mentioned a broken skirt falling off inside and chewing things up. bg joe i think.

i'm helping quay and friend with their "power king 80"...i was there when it was delivered & if i wrote a review of overall quality on the kit out of the box, it would get a "mostly below par."

anyway, they tried to re-seal the jug gasket ahead of time while they wait for the bicycle to arrive...i wasn't there i promise.

in the process, one cylinder-skirt on the casting was cracked (both ends) and one ring was broken. i have a spare ring if it fits. i applied light steady pressure to the skirt with a piece of wood til it cracked off. i figured it would break off all the way back to any weak spots and it did just that. the middle third of it is still there & it looks mighty clean, metallurgy-wise. pics tomorrow when i get back over there.

i'm tempted to try it & i need to know...before things got crunchy, did the engine run ok as far as compression, leaks, etc?

Quay, did you file a grievence through paypal. It takes one month and you will have to proove that the item was misrepresented in the auction.
If you recieved an item that is not exactly what they stated, you can win the dispute for a FULL refund.
I have won two of these.
Doc

Quay, this is what the justblissfull sellers emailed me after I asked what name brand engine it was and Dax, if you are watching, should be all over them for slanging you!

Hi there and thank you for your email,

The brand name of our Moped Bicycle Kits is PowerKing. These are manufactured by Cycle Pro Industry Ltd, which I believe are the same manufacturers for the Dax bicycle kits.

If you do have any further questions, please feel free to get in touch with us at any time. I hope you have a wonderful day ahead of you.

Regards,

Mike

-------------------------
Customer Support

Doc's : email recieved

hey all. I actually know one of the guys that work for the company (justblissful / powerkingshop account on eBay)

interesting topic going on here. his name's john and he's the online sales guy to talk to. about the US$15.00 custom issue, he was mentioning something about incoming duties or brokerage fees for products shipped from the states to canada. since the original shipment is being sent back to the company it was purchased from, duty charges shouldn't be applied to the purchase since it's a return, and that's why they're probly asking for it to be declared under 15 bucks only.

i've bought a couple of engines now from these guys and have started up my own sideline biz installing these kits for people part time, and have run into only one clutch problem so far. i still can't figure it out but i'm workin' on it. all in all, i've bought bout 15 kits in total for friends and peeps. i get a hook up and discount since i'm a return customer there.

i guess some peepz are talkin' bout the engine size n all, but they're 70cc for sure. i've measured the bore and stroke. the piston rings may be a different size n all, but that just means that they're manufactured from different places i guess. who knows. there's so many kits on the market, it's really tough to tell where it's manufactured from.

go to this site called alibaba.com and you'll see what i mean. i thought about importing them myself before, but that's just another story.

i hope this info helps tho. lol . i had to do some undercover work and get some info from john, but i've bought almost all my kits from this company, one from dax, and some from grubee as well, and for price wise, i've saved a lotta bucks. quality wise, dax is great along with grubee too, but i've been running my engine for 11 months since my first buy, replaced what needed to, maintained it, and no probs so far.

good luck with the install tho. talk to john if you get to, he's the best guy to get in touch with if you want a deal too. tell him that jay said so and to give me more spare parts too ! hhahaha.

peace

augie here at quay's...very informative post, thanks.

no, the engine sitting in front of me is surely NOT a 70.

in this case, the difference in ring size can't be explained away by different supplier. the 2 rings are identical in thickness and height, but differ greatly in circumference. even when fully compressed, my dax 67 ring is larger in diameter than the uncompressed power-king ring, & it will not go into the "80" cylinder at all.

there's been an offer made of a full refund, as soon as the details are worked out, it's "here we come, dax."

the refund

This is the real Quay here... :cool:

I spoke to John, the sales manager via telephone today, he told me I could have a 100% refund, I am waiting for confirmation and will call tomorrow if I don't hear from them. They insist that the engine they have is at least 69.25 and rest assured augidog responded his version to the guy.
Although nothing is written in stone until I get the 180.00, I will keep the forum posted, as well as Shane needs his own forum name...lol
Thanks to all who took the time to help me.
Happy trails to all... :eek:

augidog said:
ebay deleted my topic!!!

what should we do about this? anyone more diplomatically experienced that can guide us?

I read the eBay Big Book of Rules, and i am confused, because I couldnt find anything you did wrong.
its my humble guess that, because my thread: http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=1000495466&tstart=40&mod=1179343696790 is still alive, its because i mentioned NO names of other websites, buyers, or sellers. It was very vague. this, in itself, is confusing because some "i hate this eBay'r" posts do.
anyway, its still green-lighted. so post on, friends. and please refrain from putting anyone out on 'front street'.(names)

i have to clarify something: there is no complaint of damage, the kit arrived (as reviewed above) intact except the tank, & the tank was promptly replaced.

ultimately, i can only address engine size.

frankly, i've never had the chance to test the engine's performance, so i have nada to say about that. i guess it's maybe a decent 50, and in the right hands it could be installed & run reliably.

projektj3: tell your buddies that if they want to send me a jug and ring, i'll repair the engine, snag a bike to put it on, and put it thru its paces. no "wink" because i'm sincere...i'll give it a fair appraisal including true measurements, and review it for the community. and, i do appreciate your input, this group isn't about witch hunts, but it's all business when it comes to the current state of the "chinese super bicycle happy time" industry 8)

I agree with ya Augi about the wich hunts but maybe it is time for all motorbike sellers to be honest enough to put the proper cc size. After all if you were looking for a ford 300 and they sent you a chevy 350, wouldn't you be a little MAD! oops, sorry for yelling. In all cases that I know of these motors are all described falsely and I am sure, China has something to do with that but the sellers should at least try to sell what they advertise. If nessesary pull the jug, check the stroke and compression ratio as well as diameter and stroke length.
It's called getting real. I aplaud Dax for comming close to the proper size advertised.
Now, vote for me for mayor of Epay and I will assure everyone a free motor! Politically speaking, Maybe!
He He!
Doc

augidog said:
i have to clarify something: there is no complaint of damage, the kit arrived (as reviewed above) intact except the tank, & the tank was promptly replaced.

ultimately, i can only address engine size.

frankly, i've never had the chance to test the engine's performance, so i have nada to say about that. i guess it's maybe a decent 50, and in the right hands it could be installed & run reliably.

projektj3: tell your buddies that if they want to send me a jug and ring, i'll repair the engine, snag a bike to put it on, and put it thru its paces. no "wink" because i'm sincere...i'll give it a fair appraisal including true measurements, and review it for the community. and, i do appreciate your input, this group isn't about witch hunts, but it's all business when it comes to the current state of the "chinese super bicycle happy time" industry 8)

no problem at all. i'll definitely pass the word on to them. but by the sound of it, it's gonna be returned back to them for a refund. i'll see if i can get the returned kit for a cheaper price ! haha . i'm not sure about the difference in the piston rings tho. i always went with measuring the bore x stroke of an engine to determine it's size and i've never had to compare the piston rings. i could be wrong tho.

but all the engines i've gotten from them so far are 47mm x 40mm in bore and stroke and that works out to just about 69.4 cc to me. i dunno, are my calculations wrong? (Pi / 4) x (4.7cm x 4.7cm) x 4cm x 1 = 69.4cc .

i've surfed a little around ebay too, and pretty much all the sellers do advertise them as 70cc . i guess over in china they always call em something higher up, like 80cc but in reality it's a 70cc . well that's what i've heard from different sellers themselves.

oh wellz, any info on the size of the engine would help. do they even make and manufacture engines in between 50cc to 70cc ?

i didn't have one thing available to get dimensions with, but...again, the size difference between the 2 rings is too obvious to mean anything else. yes, a "60" is/was around, is this possibly one?

Back