Damaged gas tank has slow leak... repair options?

Molotov256

Local time
12:45 AM
I damaged a gas tank when I took a spill on the bike, and now it's got a slow leak. It appears to be leaking from the base of one of the mounting posts- the post is a little bent, and it's created a crease where the post joins the tank. I can't see with the naked eye if there's a fracture in the metal there, but evidence suggests that's the case.

I figured I'd just buy a new one until I saw how much they're going for and how much it costs to ship 'em, so now I'm curious about repair options. I know a guy who welds, so I could ask him about that, but welding and gas tanks just don't sound like a good combination. Are there any other viable options? Epoxy? Silicon? Duct tape?

I just saw a product at ace hardware. Im sorry I cant remember the name of it but it was a 2-part putty that came in a single tube. The hardener was in the center, cut off a chunk and work the 2 parts by kneeding it together like putty.

I do know it said it withstands gas. Dries hard as a rock. In the glue-apoxy section.

Update..... 1 HR later. I was reading "reclaimer's" post http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=219225&postcount=12 and I saw the what looked like the material I saw at the hardware store. I included one of his photos.

Attachments

• S5030016-2.jpg
    S5030016-2.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 1,270
Last edited:
just a wild bet from a guy who has been using JB weld for ?? over 40 years ??
I think that gas eats it up
well let me go grab a tube -- always have some in and out of the house

tube of JB KWIK don't say anything about use with gas ??

graucho has the right stuff listed

as we ride those things

I don't know about regular JB Weld, but I once tried to help a friend use JB Quick to fix the carburetor fuel inlet on his Pinto (side of the road repair) and we quickly learned that gasoline ruins it. I was told that if we dried up all the gas before using it and let it cure for a day or two before re-connecting the gas line then it would work fine. I never got to find out though.

I don't know about regular JB Weld, but I once tried to help a friend use JB Quick to fix the carburetor fuel inlet on his Pinto (side of the road repair) and we quickly learned that gasoline ruins it. I was told that if we dried up all the gas before using it and let it cure for a day or two before re-connecting the gas line then it would work fine. I never got to find out though.

Methinks it's all about prepping the site. First I used hot glue and a quarter(coin) to patch the brand-new goped tank. HOWEVER, I did not clean or sand the edges and the patch failed.:geek:

After I peeled the patch off, I had the hardest time peeling the hot glue off the quarter!

With the JB WELD I followed the directions, especially the prepping and curing time.

It worked very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grabbed a tube of the stuff Graucho mentioned from an auto part store, and it was labeled as an "instant gas tank repair", so it better hold up in the presence of gas!

The hardener was in the center, cut off a chunk and work the 2 parts by kneeding it together like putty.

I put a patch of the stuff around the base of each of the 4 posts, so we'll see if it holds up.

Brazing works well. Empty tank (well, of course) flush, flush again and braze with the cap and valve off. I did a Honda trail 50 tank that had pin hole rust all over the bottom. I pretty much brass plated the whole tank bottom. Had the bike for ten more years and it never leaked again. The poduct Kreem works well I hear but it's expensive and was more than I wanted to spend for the little Honda. I think a new tank would cost much less than Kreem for a HT engine kit.

Back