Dashboard

I made a 'dashboard' for an electric trike build.

E-trikeDash2.jpg

It worked out pretty cool.

2_E-trikeL-1280.jpg
I was thinking exactly something like that same swtiches but i wanted so much analog speedometer.. And i cant install it because i have front drum brake and it is to big for instaling analog speedometer from ebay.

Extend the arm that comes off the wheel that goes into the spokes for the analog, either use small machine screws to bolt a metal extension to it or even get kinda redneck and drill a hole in the arm and attach to the spokes with a zip tie to fill the gap. The spokes pull the zip tie which pulls the arm which gives you a reading.

Extend the arm that comes off the wheel that goes into the spokes for the analog, either use small machine screws to bolt a metal extension to it or even get kinda redneck and drill a hole in the arm and attach to the spokes with a zip tie to fill the gap. The spokes pull the zip tie which pulls the arm which gives you a reading.
I cant quiet understand now but you are saying that it is possible to mount it.

I cant quiet understand now but you are saying that it is possible to mount it.
Post a link to what you bought on ebay and the type of drum brake you have, I would assume it's compatible if it's the standard mount seen on analog builds, if it's something else whacky then it might not work, but that would assume that there's no room for modification.

I rigged up a speedo to my bike for a time and had to work out some incompatibilities and even needed to use a flex shaft from a dremel to make the shaft long enough to go from my wheel to the speedometer.

Well actually you might be able to pull it off, how handy are you with a dremel? Nothing is impossible as you know, carefully assembled and tightened with some spacer washers might work. Drill a hole or cut out a portion in the area circled with green, and the arm would be bent flat and hole drilled at the red dot for a zip tie.
Screenshot_2017-01-28-10-53-12.jpg

This would be good if the center black area is solid, you can route the electric wires right through and that would evade the arm clashing into the wire issue.

Don't get crazy just yet, I have one of those bits with the arm somewhere around here, I will try to find it and examine it and see if it can be cut or drilled safely so you don't have to. If I can't find it then I'll let you know as well.

screenshot_2017-01-28-10-53-12-jpg.75400

You can mount the speedo pickup on either side of the wheel, that's what the L and R on the pickup are for, hook up the speedo cable to the side you put it on and move the rubber cap to the other input if needed to keep dirt/water out.

Last edited:
screenshot_2017-01-28-10-53-12-jpg.75400

You can mount the speedo pickup on either side of the wheel, that's what the L and R on the pickup are for, hook up the speedo cable to the side you put it on and move the rubber cap to the other input if needed to keep dirt/water out.
He has a hub with a generator and a drum brake, the one side is used by the brake arm and stabilizing arm while the other has the clips for the wires to send the power where you want it, it's a problem to use that speedo on either side, already explored the option in my head.

On another note my speedo hook up would be completely fine with a hole being drilled, if yours is a solid plastic design as well then it could handle being drilled just enough for a small hole, if you happen to know if your axle is part of the circuit (as in power flows through it) then you could get away with a hole small enough for a single wire, in either case a spacer washer will be needed to keep the speedo hookup just far enough away from the hub so a wire or two could slip down and through the adapter. Carefully securing it will be needed and you may need to add another washer to the other side, both washers will probably need to have a notch cut in them to let the wire pass.

This will take probably upwards of 3/4th an inch of the exposed axle, and might not be suitable if the fork is not wide enough, nor will it work if the axle it too short.

If I wanted to use both, and I definitely would, then I would do that to make it work. The whole trick would be to take the time to think it out completely before acting and take the time to make all the adjustments correctly, if you do that it won't end up being a problem.

I am trying to understand everything you have written i understand good part of it but some parts are little bit confusing but main problem is that I have not seen this analog speedometer live and installed so I can't understand completely how this speedometer work. I can take a picture of fork with wheel on to see how much space it got..

Back