Dax 1.5" friction kit - Tanaka 40cc - DH bike

Low earlier this year when I bought my tanaka 40 the best price I could find was $325 at custom scooters outta of plano, tx ie, dallas. They drop ship directly from hitachi. Dunno the 32cc price but might be worth checking out. Stephanie Hart
Custom Scooters
912 E. 15th Street
Plano, TX 75074

darwin,
I got lucky on eBay & won a new Tanaka 40cc for $194, I ended up getting the Tanaka 32cc for $150 from another member on here.
If I come across a Tanaka 47 or 47r, I'll likely snatch it up. I have also been looking at the Chung Yang 46 for a possible project.
Thanks
-Lowracer-

Good luck on the tanaka 47, I looked high and low with no luck. They're no longer in production. Maybe some lawn and garden center has one sitting on a shelf some where, talking new of course.

I installed the poo-poo pipe last night & took it for a test spin today....
Wow is this thing quiet compared to both the stock exhaust can & the pocketbike expansion chamber.
I'll get the rpm meter hooked back up to see what kind of max rpm's I get out of it.
The best I could manage with the pb expansion chamber was 8640 rpm's on level ground @ 38.56 mph w/1.5" roller.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• Banshee Scream w-poo poo pipe1.jpg
    Banshee Scream w-poo poo pipe1.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 656
  • Banshee Scream w-poo poo pipe.jpg
    Banshee Scream w-poo poo pipe.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 564
Here is my latest MB.
I had such a positive experience riding the front drive Rocky Mountain RM7 DH bike around w/ various engines, that I decided to sell my other 2 hardtail MB's & build up another DH bike. I found a lightly used 2007 Banshee Scream on feeBay & won it for $780. Had a pocket bike stage 2 cag on for starters but installed a Tanaka 40cc (sweet engine).
Here a few pics before & after.
The last pic is how its setup now.
-Lowracer-
That is a sick ride! I Like that exhaust pipe..im gonna look into one for my kit. I usually like beach cruiser but i really like that bike its got nice tires..hows that kit holding up? gotta love friction drive! Just simple. little wheel on big wheel no gears no mess..Enjoy!

Looks like a police bike, put some flashing red lights on it and your good to go to nail those pesky speeders. Whats in all those red bottles?

bchCruizer,
Thanks...
The poo-poo pipe really quiets down the engine tremendously & doesn't kill the engine power (more power than stock).
I've built hardtails, rigid & full suspension motor bikes.
I've sold all the hardtails & rigids. Full suspension is definitely the way to go (the heavier duty the better).
Probably the reason why all motorcycles are full suspension?
Friction drive is simple & effective. The DAX kit is very good & he is a great guy to deal with. I had one problem in 3 kits I bought, & he replaced a bad drum/shaft for me under warranty. I've done v-belt drives & chain drives but both my motorized DH bikes are now friction.
Yeah they suck in the wet, but I dont ride in the wet (unless I get stuck).

darwin,
The red bottles are MSR Fuel bottles to do longer trips.
I have & can carry (2) 30 oz bottles & (2) 20 oz bottles for an extra 100 oz of fuel for those long commutes. The fuel tank on the engine also holds 20 oz for 120 oz total. At 150 mpg's (avg), I can go about 140 miles. My longest day out on the road riding for work purposes is just over 100 miles.
If I am going a shorter distance I carry less bottles & always keep a extra vial full of 2 stroke oil on the bike incase I run out & need to make some pre-mix out on the road.
'Plan ahead or pedal'...lol
I just received a Tanaka 47r engine that I bought from another member here (Thanks to Darwin for the heads up) & will be installing it in place of one of the other 2 Tanaka's I am running now (32cc & 40cc)...Will see how much better the 47r (47cc) is & post my observations.
-Lowracer-

Last edited:
Well it's taken nearly a year but I finally scored a new in the box
PF4000 for $250,( $100 under staton's price), on Ebay, Rather
than put it on my belt drive, I think I'll use the same config.
you've got on the banshee, Low. The only difference is that
I'll be using a slightly concave 1.375" roller custom matched
to my tire profile. I'm hoping for good low end & a top spd.
of 32 mph @ 8000 rpm.
I can't wait to mount it up. I'm happier than flies on
something you won't see in a Geico ad.

Rawly,
Funny cause I was watching the same engine you bought on eBay for $249. I would have bought it too if I needed another engine (got 3 Tanakas now, 32cc, 40cc, 47r). I took my Banshee Scream powered by the 40cc out today for work & did 60 miles. I love this engine! Its a little less powerful than the 47r but gets alot better fuel economy. I get ~99-100 mpg with the 47r & ~145-150 mpg's with the 40cc. Both are setup the same with 1.5" friction kits & header tape wrapped poo-poo pipes.
Like to see your bike once you install the 40cc & hear your opinions...
-Lowracer-

Well Low,
I'm mighty glad you didn't buy it cuz $249 was all I could afford.
I've checked various sites that are askin' as much as $441 for a new
pf4000. The fella I bought it from is a great guy. He cut me some
slack and marked it sold while I put together the dough. I don't
have it yet but tracking sez it left Denver this morning.
My problem now is I'm not sure which bike I want to put it on now
the fric setup is on my technium MB, super lo ratios if I need
to disengage and pedal. It's wet here most of the time even
with a super efficient roller. What I love about my v-belt
3 spd huffer is the simplicity. The 19 1/2" sheave works out
to the same ratio as my 1.375" roller. Click 1 at a stop & you're
ready to pedal off; click 2 as you throttle up for fast acceleration.
Click 3 pedaling to cruise effortlessly. Both have advantages;
I'm torn.

Back