Carby Dax carb- how is yours set?

G

I know we all had a few discussions about where to set the clip on the slide needle before, and it was suggested to start at the second notch from the top for most.

I ran my bike around for a couple of hours yesterday with various settings and here's what I found.

BTW- I'm @ 1000' above sea level here.

Second from the top, starts with 3/4 choke and runs well after a few minutes ONLY WITH PARTIAL CHOKE. That is to say, once warmed up fully (5 minutes of runtime) I could turn the choke off and it would run, but would run much better when I brought in a little choke. Also needs a little choke for instant start-ups when warm, but left sitting for a few minutes.

Second from the bottom, starts with 1/2 choke and after a couple of minutes of warm up, I could turn the choke off all the way. With this setting it also was much smoother on the off throttle decelloration.

Having said all that, I will say it produced more power, higher revs and crisper throttle response with the clip set at the second position from the top, partial choke.

HOWEVER it didn't run as smoothly at cruise or when off the throttle for slowing......

I know I shouldn't expect miracles from the world's most crude carb, but I think I can do better.

Time for a Walbro? :D

You can fine tune the carb with some 400 and 600 grit sand paper if you know what you're doing. Just have to adjust the taper of the jet needle.

Moth

Hugemoth said:
You can fine tune the carb with some 400 and 600 grit sand paper if you know what you're doing. Just have to adjust the taper of the jet needle.

Moth

You know, that's exactly what I was thinking about the tenth time I pulled it out. That thing has about a 45 degree taper right at the tip. If I sand it down a bit, and put it back to the second from the top, I should be able to go from there....I'll let you know.

try the second from the bottom, this is were it should perform best, but just try and take it for a spin and see if it improves for ya, or not. kronic and l have the clip set at this position and seems to run really good. good luck guys, let me know how it goes

in my case, i deduced the 3rd slot down is just too rich, but i bored the jet a tad and went to 2nd down, it's been great thru the whole range, excellent start warm or cold & full-pull from stop-to-top, it never sounded better 8)

Back