Dax Fuel valve replacement

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by rosco, Sep 9, 2007.

1. rosco

rosco Guest

Greetings all, so I have had a heck of a time with the fuel valves from dax, my first valve sheared off when i was getting off of the bike, and the second broke in a similar fashion. So I was looking to replace it with a different method. What have you guys had luck with?

-Ross

2. I had the same problem with 2 installs....Just broke when I started threading it into the tank (not cross threaded and done by hand when it broke)....I guess just bad materials or mfg....I haven't done it yet but I am going to try a plumbing store to get brass fittings (a fitting to screw into the tank and have a hose barb come out) and use a shutoff valve from a lawn mower supply shop....hopefully this would be more durable (also, the shutoff valve on my other demo bike does leak a bit....weeps....My lawn mover shutoffs are always dry....
    Andrew
    Andrew

3. rosco

rosco Guest

let me know what store you find the materials at!

Thanks!

4. davidsis

davidsis Guest

How did it brake off? I never had that problem

5. bozs

bozs Guest

valve

Hi

I went to a hydraulic store and got a nice chrome one... it wasn't that mush for it...

Gene

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  6. rcjunkie

rcjunkie Guest

I found that the bass, older style, petcocks are sturdier than the aluminum ones. I have had 2 aluminum ones break but never a brass one.

7. gauge

gauge Guest

mine also br0oke its only holding on by 3 threads lol but hasnt leaked yet knock on wood but i broke my throttle cable today at 183 miles

8. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

I always use the plastic lawn mower shut off valves, on all my motors. They only cost a couple of bucks each if you catch the right deals on ebay or 5 bucks at the stores. They have never failed me. Even after years of use. I also tear off the cheap inner screens and install the 2 dollar see through in line filters. Hope that helps a little.
    Doc

9. Patch

Patch Guest

Go to ace hardware...I went to my local ace an found gas line fittings...in the little flip top boxes and in there were tons of gadgets. Including a nice shut off valve. It has a skrew valve with a diaphram. Never leaks but does take longer (5seconds) to open the valve than the dax ones. I can get a picture ifyou want one...just too late at the moment

10. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

11. rosco

rosco Guest

Thanks guys! I went by a local ace hardware and they had much more of a selection then a lowes or home depot, anyway I ended up with a solution like Dockspa1's, Ill try and put up a photo tonight.

12. When my first pot-metal petcock snapped in half I replaced it with natural gas brass pieces that I put together from Home Depot. that works if you put a clothes peg on the fuel line! it's a decent temporary measure but I got a replacement brass petcock from dax and it has been a hundred times better than the original one that comes with the kit.

13. thatsdax

thatsdax Guest

I also......

Yea.. I also broke a few of the newer style fuel valves. I was used to the brass one that you could stand on with a wrench and still would not break it. The newer style fuel valves are not as strong so be careful when putting them on not to over torque them. The newer style fuel valves work better than the brass ones. I have not broken any of the newer style fuel valves in a long time now.. Just do not over torque them when installing. They are the better valve. Thanks.. Enjoy the ride..

14. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

I hope i am placing this in the correct place. I am in the process of replacing my valve and i took it apart an not sure how the washers went in place here is a pic of the pieces layed out. If anyone can show or tell me the steps on how to place the washers that would be great. Their are 2 washers 1 is flat and the other is wavy. Thanks

15. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

here is the pic

Attached Files: