DAX Titan 4 stroke ?'s

thanks, that's very helpful.

perplexing ? well i guess you could go that way.

i've used spreadsheet based gearing/ speed calculators for yrs. when working on motorcycles and they have always been dead on. on the other hand, are you using a true rolling radius of a 26" wheel/tire in the calculation ?

sooo, using the estimate of 1 mph per tooth from 44 to 36 apears to come up roughly 33mph and not nearly enough for my needs/ target.

there IS a way to acomplish this, it may just take me alittle longer to sort out the motor/ drive options than i hoped is all.

steve

How about this. Get a much smaller rear sprocket. Looks like a 24 tooth lol to achieve that magic 45 MPH.
Then get an electric hub up front and a battery pack.
Pedal start then get that electric hub to propel you to about 12 to 16 mph taking into consideration I don't even need to pedal with my 44 tooth,it would take the same engine effort at 12 to 16 mph with that 24 tooth lol. Then pull that starter and have your engine take over. On hills use a combination of both powers with your pedaling even. When your engine is powering your bike, your electric hub is charging your battery so you really don't need a lot of heavy batteries.

I have an idea here... Some of the 'pocket bike' engines I have seen are very powerful. If geared properly, I believe one of those would get you to where you want to be. I am scared of going 45 on a bicycle personally but with the right bike I suppose it is possible. For example, the engine listed at the top of the page here claims 10,000 rpm. Say you could actually run that at 9,000 to be safe cuz that 10k is probably with no load. These engines match up perfectly with the Staton 18.75:1 gear box. With a 16 tooth drive sprocket and 22 tooth output sprocket, this would give you about 13.64:1 total gear reduction and a top speed of 51 mph. There are more powerful pocket bike engines out there, but this one gives the most bang for the buck that I found. I have seen folks who bought higher powered engines on ebay for a good price but finding those is hit or miss. Anyhow, these engines are designed for racing and are very torquey. There are also a large assortment of performance mods available that would likely allow you to increase engine performance even more. The only trouble with them is that they are all 2-stroke motors and would require mixing of gas and oil. I have been planning to try this setup out one day but playing around with this stuff can get pretty expensive pretty fast if one isn't careful. Good luck with your project. Please update us with any decisions you make or progress when you actually start building. Cheers. :)

-Jesse

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some facts....

The Titan with a 36T can cruise 33-34 mph at 9000 feet. Keep in mind a 3-5 percent reduction on power for every 1000 feet rule of thumb. So I am way way down on power up here. At any rate, with my 36T I can do over 30mph no problem. This is validated by the use of radar. My digital speedo is with in 1-1.5 mph of the radar gun. Road side radar has validated my claim of mph numbers. My top speed has been 42.1 mph. That was going down a hill for a short jaunt. I wanted to see what the Titan would do on an over speed. It did not bat an eye. Please.. I do not recommend doing this. I was only testing durability. That was over 1000 miles ago. I have done it 3 or 4 times since then. But only hit 39-40. I have not hit that 42.1 since. Again.That was a down hill run. Engine was ripping !! Smooth.. AT any rate. Those are some digital and radar specs. As for cruising 40mph plus on level ground, the Titan does not have enough power at this high altitude to do that. Maybe.. But the loss in torque would be too great and wear on the auto clutch too large. The 44T is the best over all sprocket and can take you 30-35 mph with not much of a problem. Depends on wheel and tire size. But.. I do not promote nor recommend anything faster, even if you have a bicycle that can do that. My desire is to keep it legally a bicycle. That means 30mph max. And the Titan can already exceed that with the 44T. But only a little. I may have to supply them with a 48T and slow them down. What do you guys think? 48T? LEt me know.Thanks..And..Enjoy the ride..

thank you all, this has become a very informative thread for me. i obviously have more studying to do.

several of you have sent me additional PM's of info and encouragement and those were greatly aprec'd too.

Duane, thanks for coming in on this.

steve

maybe a motoredbike is not what is needed. a moped will legally go that fast and is built for the rigors of such speed i.e. brakes lights license insurance electric horn and such but thats another forum.

ninja my #ss, between the last 2 posts i've had 2 systems each of which went 45mph out of the box and the first was pushing 55mph when i gave up on it.

now i'm about to release a system of my own that provides the best features of both and hopefully none of the negs.

dedcated down hill and/ or free ride/ stunt bikes have more than adequit components for speed and longevity. i have lights, brakes that scare most people. there is no other thinly regulated transportation alternative around here that will do 160-200mpg at those speeds.

steve

How about some info on your systems?

Ignore the wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth

Back