DAX Triton GT50R Locks Up when pull starting

Discussion in 'Friction Drive' started by bob haynes, Nov 11, 2011.

1. bob haynes

bob haynes Member

Has anyone had a problem with a pull start locking up? Motor is new and ran like a champ the first 4-5 times. Now when I go to start I pull on the rope and after 5-6 pulls the motor freezes up. I have to take the cover off and turn by hand then put back together pull 4-5 times and it locks up again. I've checked everything on the roller side and it turns freely. Fuel mixture is per book. Could it be lack of air in carb? Can someone point me in the right direction? Didn't want to take motor apart.

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

I'm not familiar with that particular engine but if it locks up when pull starting, and is free when you pull the recoil, then that's where I'd look...at the pull starting recoil. If you can turn by
    "hand" I doubt it's freezing/locking up. You might want to remove the pull start and plug and first spin by hand then with a drill. I see a picture of it, but don't know what is inside the pull start.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Like Al stated, I also think the trouble's in your pullstart. Off the top of my head, I think it's your spring.

4. bob haynes

bob haynes Member

Hi Ron,thanks for the reply.We have corresponded before. Maybe I can clarify my problem. I pull to start and it recoils like normal. After 4-6 tries it locks up to where you can't pull it. I then take the cover off and turn the crank?? by hand. It loosens up and I put the cover on and try again. Give me a couple days and I will take some pics. I was wondering if it builds up pressure and locks up. bobh

5. Al.Fisherman

It's totally possible that you might have excessive compression. The next time it locks up, pull the spark plug and pull to start. That way if there is excessive compression you found your problem. Solution...add another head gasket. When you can't pull the rope, and take the time to pull the recoil, the compression might bleed off. One other thing...pull to start, when you can't..stop, leave it alone, go get a drink, then come back and try again.

6. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

im good with engines

But am un familliar with the kit your using is it the 4 stroke honda or clone motor? Or 2 stroke? If its the honda 4 stroke it sounds like you skipped valve timing some how. Or maybe bent a valve. The pull start works freely when removed correct? It could be a bad bearing or race in the pull start. Try rebuilding the the starter before you tear into the motor.

7. Al.Fisherman

I looked it up on Dax's site...it's a 2 cycle. Far right column, second down.
    http://thatsdax.com/

8. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

send it back to dax he will make it rite dont screw with it let dewayne fix it he is a very good at customer service

9. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

If no one recommended it yet, simply remove or loosen the sparkplug. Then pull start. If there's no lockup, then maybe it's either high compression.

10. Mike St

Mike St Member

Sounds like a fuel flooding lock, common with model airplane 2 strokes. To fix this you would have to prevent fuel flooding. Are you over priming the engine before starting it?

11. rawly old

rawly old Member

I think 5-7 may b right, sounds as if it isn't close to being broken-in and those
    race engines are probably 9 to 1 compression and tight as .....well. pretty
    durn tight. You might wanna remove the plug, add a teaspoon of oil to the
    head, work it with a few pulls, and the replace the plug and go for a start.

12. lowracer

lowracer Member

The pull starter on these Cag pocketbike engines are prone to self destruct. I just busted one (metal one too). The spring came apart & actually ripped a hole through the metal on the side of the pull start cover. Fortunately, they are cheap to replace & usually do last awhile.
    I'd buy a new metal pull starter cover assembly for around $20-$25 bucks shipped.
    I keep a spare Cag engine for parts & removed that piece to replace the one I busted.
    -lowracer-

13. bob haynes

bob haynes Member

final answer

for anyone interested it wasn't the motor after all I removed the motor from the bike and found a broken clutch spring the clutch would engage after pulling the starter 4-5 times and not disengage locking up the pull starter (picture attached) thanks for all your help and comments ultimately I was taking the motor off to ship back to DAX when I found it

Attached Files:

14. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Those pesky clutch springs have a habit of breaking.

Actually, I'm not sure if the spring breaks, or simply slips off their post. By the time I pull the engine, the spring's in pieces.

15. rawly old

rawly old Member

I'm considering buying a titan 50. Should I be concerned. what's your overall
    opinion of these 4 strokes?

16. bob haynes

bob haynes Member

Mine is a GT-50R Titan Motor 2-stroke no problems easy installation and the people at DAX are great to work with. Like the post before you the clutch springs (on any motor) have a habit of coming off or breaking. DAX is sending me one at no charge.

17. lowracer

lowracer Member

I broke another clutch spring today on a 51 mile ride on my Cag. Was able to get it home on engine power by not doing too much stopping...lol
    Avg 130 mpg's...not too shabby
    -Lowracer-

18. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

On my first build, my Robin/Subaru broke a clutch spring. That puzzled me a bit, until I pulled the engine. It was a single-spring clutch model.

I've broken several clutch springs on my CY460 engine on friction drive and center-framed chain drive/shift kit. Some were with the original clutch, others were pocket bike clutches modified to fit the 460.

FWIW, I've run my Tanaka 47R engines for 2 years, and have not broken any clutch springs.

When I find a clutch which will fit the 460 and won't break springs, I'll run my 460 engines.

19. rawly old

rawly old Member

So no one has anything to say about the Titan 4 strokes?