Day #1 and I'm bummed

Well, if PA does not distinguish a moped from a motorized bicycle then I'm afraid you have it backwards. Mopeds ( = motorized bicycle) must be titled, registered, plated, insured and ridden by licensed motorist. The fact that a motorized bicycle is a non-titled vehicle, then it cannot qualify for moped status.....thus illegal to ride in the streets of PA.
I'd love to have an attorney research this and provide us PA enthusiasts some clear direction. :confused:

so is there some conclusion as to wether or not a 50cc 2 stroker needs to be titled, registered and insured? either way. what kind of signals should be on the bike i.e. should i have head light, turn signals, and brake lights? im just really confused about all of this.

and does on the road mean? becuase i can ride the bike on the shoulder. or side walk. is that considered road????

titled bicycle

if you outfit the bicycle with all proper lighting even the signals have to be certain inches apart,and its titled your able to drive in the middle of the road!good luck doing it, its not easy and quite expensive.been there done that.:oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
well im almost there. i just have to get my brake/turn signals. then title. i was looking at the brake lights off ebay. you think they would work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250173198614&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

i really need this sucker to be legal. i need to make a 100 mile trip!

I purchased a LED headlight and taillight on e bay from Hong Kong. I was amazed that they actually worked very well for the cost. One big problem I ran into is that they are not very water resistant. (I live in Juneau, Ak....a rain forest) If they are kept dry, they work awesome. Lots of electrical tape. :rolleyes:

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I purchased a LED headlight and taillight on e bay from Hong Kong. I was amazed that they actually worked very well for the cost. One big problem I ran into is that they are not very water resistant. (I live in Juneau, Ak....a rain forest) If they are kept dry, they work awesome. Lots of electrical tape. :rolleyes:

sorry couldnt resist. did you mean snow forest lol

Well, if PA does not distinguish a moped from a motorized bicycle then I'm afraid you have it backwards. Mopeds ( = motorized bicycle) must be titled, registered, plated, insured and ridden by licensed motorist. The fact that a motorized bicycle is a non-titled vehicle, then it cannot qualify for moped status.....thus illegal to ride in the streets of PA.
I'd love to have an attorney research this and provide us PA enthusiasts some clear direction. :confused:

I may have read this wrong but here I go anyway.

here is what wikipedia's definition of a moped is:
Mopeds are a class of low-powered motorized vehicles, generally two-wheeled. Moped classification is designed to allow the use of small motorised vehicles, avoiding the safety restrictions and licensing charges required of larger motorcycles. Some motorized bicycles, small scooters, and small motorcycles fit the definition of a moped. key words here are Some motorized bicycles.

Mopeds are primarily engine powered, and a motorized bicycle is primarily pedal powered. As long as you can make you engine kit in no way interfere with or produce any form of drag against the mechanical parts of the bicycle, then it is still a bicycle. I mean the only way you can ride a moped without the motor is if it has a clutch and its still a worthless form of transport.

Well ok i guess what i am getting at here is that people need to stop thinking of their motorized bike as a moped. Just because they both have pedals and engines does not make them the same thing. This is MotoredBikes.com not Mopeds.com. This site doesn't have a Vespa section or topics on how to fix the clutch in Tomos.

If I had more time I would go on more but I am in the process of moving and need to get back to that. just remember it isnt as fine of a line as many think. think scooters to motorcycles.

just buy a bike, put it together and enjoy it! In my town, I have very strict cops, thats only because they have nothing to do in this boring town and theyll do anything to put someone behind bars and get a promo:censored: I ride my motored bike around anyway, i pass cops all the time, i dont bother to kill the engine, i just keep below 20mph when im passing them and theres nothing to complain about. I even ride my dirtbike on the main roads with no licence or plate, but as long as im keeping it calm and atleast try to look like im going somewhere, they leave me alone:D so go ahead and build a motorbike, and you shouldnt have problems...if you do, then tell us about it!!

:D:D:D

jon

Back