Dealing with stupid curious people when riding

Most of the time people in my area are asking questions in a positive light.

I'm glad to see you've had mostly positive experiences with other interested people. The people in your area must be decent.

After going to the Tampa Bay MB09 meet today, I learned a LOT about that.

It seems the people in the area determine how positive or negative the experiences can be. Folks in St. Pete are more positive and interested, and are there to have fun, and we encountered only nice people that wanted to look at the bikes and ask questions because they enjoyed them. No issues with cops, or anyone at all.

So it seems you have to do what's necessary to be in the presence of better people. And mountainman makes a good point of not making a big deal and letting it get to you so bad.

I guess I've been lucky; only a couple of negative encounters and nothing as stupid as
"urine in a bottle".

I have found (once riding and in other situations) that "You've got better things to worry about" is fairly effective. Loudness and anger dependent on circumstances.

Seems to snap some of them out of stupid mode.

Sounds good BGW. Anything to wake em up a bit. :D

Some people walk up to me while I am sitting there idling my 70cc HT, and they ask if it is gas or electric......

But the funniest question I ever had asked was when I was riding my '46 Columbia. It has the brick-red prewar style tires, the chrome springer and poopoo pipe and just has very much a prewar look. A cop stopped me and asked if it was an antique Harley! :laugh3:

funny & cool man!:cool:
what a compliment! can you post a pic?
is there a dealer in us for the poopoo pipes?
one of this days ill post my own..until then i can read all i want, and have fun learning.

keep em up'

Last edited:
Also something very valuable I've learned while riding.........

KEEP IN MOTION! GO FAST when possible! The more you are stopped or going very slow, the more strange folks you will encounter. I coast to intersections to avoid using my brakes so much, and to avoid being stopped for very long at red lights.

Also, if you are riding, and someone loudly shouts HEY, or tries to get you to stop riding to ask you questions, just keep right on riding.

I've even had folks pull their cars over on the side of the highway, to get me to stop riding to talk to them. I pull over for no one anymore.

It's RUDE if they want to stop you just because they don't understand what you are riding. (Would you stop someone in their car because it looks different? Of course not!)

More intelligent people will ask educated questions while you are parked already, and admire the creativity.

Good luck out there folks!
ZnsaneRyder

that is true. for bicyclists people do act stupid. i dont react to hey or shout outs even when i am not riding.

Yea, I hate that when people expect you to completely stop what you are doing. Then pull over and take time out of YOUR day to answer a list of repetitive questions. I usually keep on riding. I'll stop once in a while if I am in a good mood, and not in a hurry. Sometimes I have my headphones on and the music is cranked. Then I stop at a light and look over at the car next to me. I see someones mouth moving but can't hear them. Sometimes I turn the music off, but usually I say, "sorry I can't hear you."

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people walk up to me while I am sitting there idling my 70cc HT, and they ask if it is gas or electric......

LOL that's funny Simonator! An obvious idling 2 stroke, and they ask if it's gas or electric, hahaha! At least I know what to expect when I finish my bicycle!

Back