Dealing with stupid curious people when riding

Sometimes I like it when people show curiostiy, but a lot of times I'm on my way to somewhere else or busy concentrating on some mechanical problem. I just say google: motorbikes and that will answer your questions.

I like the feeling of setting an example and showing people there are other ways to get around beside #@%&* cars and saving gas to preserve the environment. After all, everybody's going to be doing this when the pumps start running dry.

If you do some research, in other countries they use bike "taxis" with or without motors. Your grandmother or disabled persons can ride that way. Also, special bikes can be built for disabled persons on 3-4 wheels with gas or electric engines - which is basiclly what a scooter or electric wheelchair is. I have been a personal care attendant and followed my quadriplegic boss down the local bike path. I've seen one weirdo with paralyzed legs riding his electric wheelchair in the road downtown!

If your grandmother is still driving, she must be in very good shape for her age.

When peak oil production trickles down to very high gas prices, everyone is going to be looking for other ways to get around. I hope this country will be ready when that happens!

Last edited:
I've had plenty of passer-by questions about my electric bike. So far, every single one has been friendly. Perhaps some people just attract aggro. Of course there are questions which are guaranteed to make the asker feel stupid. A common one for me is "Is it solar powered?". Another one is "Do you charge the batteries up by pedaling?". I don't get bitter, though, I once didn't know the answer to these questions either.

I did hear in an electric bike shop a good idea if the persistent nagging questions are getting to you. Carry a flyer with the specs, and just hand it out and ride off. I haven't actually tested if it's a good idea, though. My experience is that people who ask questions will ask them anyway. It's more about the attention than the information, and those are most likely to be the hecklers (which I've managed to avoid so far).

man i cant wait for people to start asking me questions! ill get em roped in in a 15 minute conversation and then sell them one haha

If you do some research, in other countries they use bike "taxis" with or without motors. Your grandmother or disabled persons can ride that way. Also, special bikes can be built for disabled persons on 3-4 wheels with gas or electric engines - which is basiclly what a scooter or electric wheelchair is. I have been a personal care attendant and followed my quadriplegic boss down the local bike path. I've seen one weirdo with paralyzed legs riding his electric wheelchair in the road downtown!

If your grandmother is still driving, she must be in very good shape for her age.

When peak oil production trickles down to very high gas prices, everyone is going to be looking for other ways to get around. I hope this country will be ready when that happens!

I'm 62. The time will come when old age will push me onto a three-wheel recumbent so I won't fall over while at a stop.

However, I'll still be motorized.:devilish:

5-7HEAVEN--I'm 65 ,went down to try an electric bike. Put the helmet on,put my feet on the pedals and fell over. Didn't move ahead an inch.
Thank goodness for helmets.
Embarassing? More that words can say.
Looks like a trike or side car.
Steve.

Steve, try to keep one foot on the ground until the bike starts moving.

I've always liked smaller-framed bicycles for that reason. That way you can push off the ground and forward while applying power.:geek:

I'm gonna try to stay away from trike and sidecar as long as possible. Much more manueverable with two wheels.

I just LOVE leaning into the curve and throwing my handlebars around.:D

Back