Decal Removal

Discussion in 'Painting, Welding, Bending and Gas Tanks' started by macLovin, Mar 24, 2009.

1. macLovin

macLovin New Member

Any of you guys have any advice on how to take off the decals. It looks like the sticker decals were put on and then the bike was clear coated. Any advice or is a Repaint the only way to go

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

if it's been clear coated, I think sanding and re-painting is your only option :(
    sorry to confirm your dilemma

3. rjs5700

rjs5700 Member

If you are careful, you might be able to sand through the clear and decal and just re-clearcoat.

4. macLovin

macLovin New Member

i love the color of the bike, just the decals kinda ruin it. A re-paint is the last resort but ill try to sand down the clear coat. Thanks for the info guys

5. MotorMac

MotorMac Member

decals

Try using Acetone to remove the clearcoat, once thats gone then the Acetone again to peel off the decal ,Use a plastic putty knife or a sharp peice of wood to scrape and peel. the Acetone works by dissolving the adhesive.
    Use a brush to apply it and keep brushing it on as it evaporates quickly.
    You will have to clear coat again but the paint should be ok.

6. macLovin

macLovin New Member

Sweet, I have a lot of acetone left over from removing the logos off my seat, I didnt want to use it on the bike because I was worried about the paint. But I'll try it now. Thanks a lot bro

7. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Wow, that's a hard one to solve. I did auto painting for most of my life. If it were me, I would try to water sand the clear off the sticker with at least 1500 wet and dry paper. Use a few drops of dish soap in the water and always use lots of water, it is what keeps the sand paper from clogging up with bits of paint. It's those bits that will scratch the paint! With the clear off, the sticker itself will come off if you soak it with peanut butter by leaving it on overnight. The oil softens thing up. You would then water sand the whole thing and re-clear-coat it, even if you just use a spray bomb.

8. Gene

Gene Member

I don't know about the clearcoat problem but today I went to a body shop for advice on taking off Schwinn Spoiler fender decals and the Painter used what he called a rubber eraser wheel on an air gun. Presto Decals gone. A little light compound and wax and the paint is if there was never a decal in place . this took all of 5 minutes.

9. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Is it possible the next time u go past that body shop to take a pic of this "rubber eraser wheel on an air gun".......sounds pretty good?

10. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

http://www.signwarehouse.com/TT-VR-p-HT-STPELM.html

A unique tool designed to remove stripes & decals from most surfaces. In most cases no secondary clean up is necessary. The result is clean & smooth with no burning or discoloration to the surface area.
    Price: $23.66

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  11. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Good stuff Forbisher,thanks.

12. seanhan

seanhan Member

use my fav. chemical MEK
    Just dont get it on any plastic it will melt..
    and dont smoke around it... it doesent burn it Explodes !!!!!!!
    it's also great for getting off inspection stickers from your windshield.
    Better Living through chemicals !!!!!!

13. macLovin

macLovin New Member

lol. already resanded and painted! but thanks for all the info guys. May be useful next time

14. Simon_A

Simon_A Member

Same stuff you use for fibreglassing?

15. seanhan

seanhan Member

Mek

Yea same stuff
    you can buy it cheap at home depot and Lowes
    just dont get it on any plastic... it will melt quick...
    use gloves it will dry out your hands real quick.
    best to dab a little onto a paper towel than wipe onto what you want to remove, let sit for 30 seconds than scrape off with razor blade.
    then get some more to remove the rest of the adhesive.
    dont throw paper towles in your inside the house trash can, throw them outside..
    And whatever you do dont get it around any flame or sparks !!!!!
    Have fun !!!!
    :jester::jester:

16. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

MEK, That stuff will kill you if you inhale it. It's been ten years and when you mentioned it, it brought back memories. That stuff is like playing with TNT!
    This is what a 3m wheel looks like, another thing I'd forgotten about. I think they were a fad and may have cost around 30 bucks and wore out very fast but I guess it was better than using a razor blade to remove pinstripes.

Attached Files:

17. seanhan

seanhan Member

mek

Yea !!! one time I squrited some on a outdoor fire pit
    and it exploded and went straight to the can !!! I droped the can but still got a good burn on my hand !!! Boy was I stupid !!! And Drunk !!!!!
    It's a wonder I survived those stupid drunkin years !!!!
    :jester::jester:

18. Smokey

Smokey New Member

The stuff that you use for glassing is MEKP, a catalist. Straight MEK is more of a solvent.

19. loquin

loquin Active Member

At the college I attended, one of the larger science buildings was split in half with a large hallway - to the right was the Chemistry department, to the left, the Biology department.

Atop the right side of the wall, was a very nice, aluminum letter sign, which read "Better Living Through Chemistry" (Aluminum, because Charles Hall, the inventor of the first commercial method for processing aluminum ore, was an alum.)

Not to be outdone, some wise guy, (probably a student,) placed a big hand-painted banner on the opposite wall which read... "Better LOVING through Biology!"