Delorto Knockoff Carb

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by SlicerDicer, May 21, 2007.

1. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product1016.html

I do not know how reliable they are. BBB has them listed as a used car place in Utah that resolved the single issue that is listed. I think I may order the carb given the cost :)

What do you guys think?

2. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

It does look pretty nice, the price seems reasonable. Go for it.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Interesting....let us know how it works.

4. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

Alright I will get it :)

5. minibiker

minibiker Guest

how did it work

6. sunofjustice

sunofjustice Guest

hey, I bought that kit for my schwinn spoiler, 47cc pocket bike project!!! Unfortunately, because of hard starting (I mistakenly bent the reed valves a little looking for power) I took the combo off thinking maybe it had some weird fuel delivery, vacuum leak issues. Will reinstall after motor break in. Still hotrodded the stock pocket bike carb though! Discarded stock fuel shut off key,drilled out and enlarged fuel passage, then J.B. welded it. Enlarged jet w medium sized safety pin(very tedious, but works), moved clip on jet needle 2nd from bottom, added velocity stack that matches the carb opening exactly.( first v-stack I purchased didnt match the carb opening at all!) Sorry about the long tangent. I checked some posts at pocketbike planet and the general opinion is its a good basic carb for those who dont want to do alot of tuning. "you just slap it on and go"...hope this helps. sunofjustice

7. mickey

mickey Guest

cheap velocity stack that fits

I bought a velocity stack (af308) from davesmotors that was intended for a 47cc pocket bike: http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product1097.html
    Its currently $5.

It seems to fit my Kings '80' stock carb perfectly with the choke removed. (the choke nut protrudes past the lip of the filter mount) I'm going to mark the position and drill out a little cavity in the solid aluminum so I can reinstall the choke before winter.

I'm hoping for a little performance boost (especially after I mount the boost bottle I ordered ;-) but I also really wanted to use a standard foam sock filter rather than the dinky plastic thing that came with the motor. I think this will allow me to do that.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2007
  8. Woah. Looks meant to be. I would make another choke out of an aluminum can flattened down,maybe doubled over,drill or punch a small hole in the middle and get a longer screw on the right side so you have a pivot and have it go over the large end. Also connect a small bar between the screws so the choke stays aligned.Then just put a cut sock over the whole thing,or get a radiator hose to fit over the velocity stack with a cutout for the choke then sock over that.

9. sunofjustice

sunofjustice Guest

I bought th' same type of v-stack from daves too. Two of them, one went on th' spoiler and th' other on my new mtb (pics are coming soon). I also had to drill a little cavity to allow th' choke to work freely. Oddly enough, th' new bike (new engine) would start for awhile then cut off. After a bit of cursing and head scratching I deduced th' stack was blocking a vent port or something so I took an old pocketbike "open" style v stack I got from another project and she started right up! In hindsight, I could of drilled another hole for venting but this method netted quicker results.

10. sunofjustice

sunofjustice Guest

Large fillipino , great minds think alike. I use radiator hose to attach my air filter on my shinobi sinner bike (70cc mtb) and on my new project: th' blue oni (also 70cc mtb). A K&N crankcase filter works, and looks th' best!!!! Th' price is wack ($20)....but you get PLENTY of filtration and airflow! Alittle secret... if you fit a couple inches extra of th' hose before th' v-stack, you create a buffer for any fuel that "spits" back during engine operation. (reversion, I think) THIS KEEPS YOUR fILTER CLEAN. G'day, mate!

11. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Sun, i just purchased a DELLORTO knockoff from Davesmotor. it is a replica of the genuine DELLORTO carb mounted on my 40cc Polini engine.

the price was right at $35 with filter, but the new cable is too short.

FWIW, ya have to make several mods to take advantage of a larger carb. i installed an advanced timing key, and am awaiting arrival of the tuned pipe and smaller friction roller.

more compression would be nice, but the new piston, cylinder and head would change my $99 ebay bargain into a $500 enigma.

Myron

12. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Sun, i heeded your experience with the reed valves when i installed the 4-petal reed kit under the DELLORTO on my pocket bike engine. it bolted on very easily, although the mounting bolts should have been 5mm longer. they are too short, and are not "grabbing" enough threads on the engine case.

Myron

13. sunofjustice

sunofjustice Guest

5-7 heaven, th' four petal reed cages Do make more power.....although they can be a bit pricey.....as well as take up alot of space. Also, is this engine on a bicycle or something else? How does it run now? Regardless.......hope it kicks ***! I recently installed my 14mm sha dellorto knock off carb myself (couldnt wait).......with a #90 jet it ran OK.......VERY similar to my "stock" modded pocketbike carb.......just not as viscous (torquey). I tryed th' #95 when it got colder out here in michigan (36-40 degrees) but it just guzzed gas and ran crappy. Currently, th' 47cc on da spoiler has th' #85 jet.....again, not bad.....but I might swap th' carbs back until I can get a genuine dellorto 16mm phbg carb. WAY more tuneability! This sucker has one of THREE jets just for starting!??!

14. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Son, the 4-petal kit cost me $95, plus less than $7 shipping. That's cheap for me.

The kit merely shifted the carb less than 1" forward, and poses no interference issues on a bicycle.

My 49cc pocket bike engine is on a 1970's SCHWINN HEAVY DUTI cruiser and STATON friction drive. With DELLORTO,4-petal reed induction, advance key and tuned pipe, the bike should fly.

If I install my STATON gearbox, the bike might lift a few inches off the ground if I add wings and rudder.:rolleyes:

15. mikesbike

mikesbike Guest

So what if any performance advantage have you seen using the velocity stack?