Diagnosis rant

dotcom

Local time
9:24 AM
So I took my two motorized bikes to a newly opened place in a flea market about 25 miles away from home to try and diagnos their problems. When I get there, the mechanic is on the floor for about an hour with a hammer trying to knock out a pin in a chain for another customer. Before doing so, I did what I could to try to troubleshoot them, such as check for spark, put new gas, check the carbs but I did not figure it out. So I brought my two bikes to them over a week ago and the guy says another day or two and then in two days another 3-4 days. The day I brought the bikes there, they said to wait alittle while in the flea market and come back in about an hour so they can check some stuff. So I waited and came back and they conclude it "might" be a problem with "the crank". I do not know what that means so now a week later, they still did not open the engine up and still say it might be the crank and I might want to just buy a new engine for $80-$85 each for both bikes and if I want to just pick the bikes up, its $20 each for the diagnosis and no repair. What a joke

sad that folks so stupid could get that much money out of you - isn't there anyone from the boards near enough to you to lend a hand?

I was thinking of asking in a new thread that exact question. I am in Fort Lauderdale if anyone is
Did you build your 2 bikes yourself dotcom?
I build bikes for a living and always honor a quick repair on something I built, but seldom take in garbage to restore.

By garbage I mean a cheap e-bay engine kit on a $100 Huffy type bike assembled by a rookie with poor tools and skills.

The bottom line for most is it's just not worth fixing and you just start over with good parts on a good bike and lick the wounds of the loss because if it's crap to start with, it will always be crap.

No offense, perhaps you have a couple of really well made MB's with just little issues you can't get someone to fix, it just doesn't sound that way is all.

you're probably right if you have dealt with many of these. I just thought it could be cheap maybe $5-$10 fix for someone that really knows how to troubleshoot properly in a short amount of time like my last time that it was the smallest thing that the average novice like myself wouldn't know to check, like a small pin that can get moved just millimeters and cut your engine off until the pin is set back properly. I built one of the bikes but and I felt it was the same issue if not a small easy fix for someone that knew. Nothing blew or popped or caught fire or anything like that and I am almost sure its something really small and easy to fix for someone that enjoys what they are doings and at the same time saving people money. upward and onward

there's nothing wrong with any bike that shifts and brakes OK and has a frame that will hold a motor - there's nothing wrong with any of the cheap ebay kits if they are all there

these things are simple and have simple solutions to problems - no high-tech here, but one needs to look carefully for causes & understand basic use of tools

Back