digging up old threads

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by motorpsycho, Jan 30, 2012.

1. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

I have noticed lately that a lot of newer members are digging back into the "archives" and answering questions in threads that are 4 years old.
    Whats' up with that?
    doesnt anyone look at the dates that the threads were originally posted?

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

3. motorpsycho

ha ha, are you saying that I'm "little Billy"??

4. graucho

graucho Active Member

HaHa! that was a funny vid. I think your way, way, past the little Billy level motorpsycho, This was the area that caught my attention tho. I have been guilty of not following this rule in the vid. You are correct about answering the old questions tho, as if it was just posted today. :grin5:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  5. motorpsycho

ha ha yeah i thought the video was pretty funny, and it does bring up some good points, in a funny way.

6. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

If you don't want people to reply to old threads, you should lock them. No, people don't look at the age of a thread. Its the same problem for new members on many forums. If you start new threads, people accuse you of wasting board space etc. If you post in old threads, they accuse you of trolling or act like you did something wrong.

7. motorpsycho

trolling?? ha ha, that's the word that high school kids use when someone os bothering someone else.

8. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

I hate it when they post in the title of a new thread "HELP" and no reason what the "help" is for.

So ok,
    Q:what is the correct way to name a new thread title?

Suggestion:Perhaps some IT program savvy members may be best to answer this question.
    I'd be guessing to say it has something to do with the way a search engine functions.

The next niggling part of a thread, it never seems to have a simple closure by the person who started the thread, something like, "SOLVED".

:rolleyes7:

9. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

admit it, we have all done it at one point or another!

then lesson learnt, we move on...

im with the HELP NEEDED titles though. i ignore them ones.

why should we open your post just to find out your pet squirrel ran away? :jester:

and as for solving things...i mentioned that somewhere before when some fool wanted to email everyone...why? why even post that? who does it help? noone. waste of bits... surely its just as easy, if not easier, to just say the problem is solved and how it was solved, at the end of the thread? so everyone can read it?

people are stupid. they should all be taken out the back and shot :jester:

10. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

:idea:
    Not good for the environment, then they will charge us with a carbon tax cos gunpowder leaves a carbon footprint.

Feed them to the lions is the best bet if they can't tell us HOW they solved the problem, or feed them to crocodiles if it's seasonal.

At least that way, they have a chance to escape and if they do they might change their ways and learn to post correctly.

11. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Sometimes, the answer to the future or present lies in the past.:idea:

12. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

13. SdCruizer

SdCruizer Member

wait
    everywhere on this site you see messages about searching first
    then when you search, have 10 tabs all open because of the searches, post in a old, or new thread you now complain

so what is it, search, post, dont post which one?

14. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

My opinion is search and search, then post, of course.

As I stated before, the answer to the present and future lies in the past, especially if it's been done upteen times before.

15. motorpsycho

I wasn't really complaining.
    What i was trying to say is that someone opens a really old thread and then treplies to it like it was posted on the same day.
    then, everyone else jumps in and replies to it as if it was a current post.
    when in reality, the old post / problem has already been solved, or the person who made the post is no longer here.
    it's just funny to read a "new" thread with questions about a problem, only to find out that the original thread was from 2006 and was resolved a long time ago.
    True, answers to current problems can be found in the past...this is what the search function is for.
    People tend to get in a hurry and don't seem to want to read the entire old posts to look for answers. Instead they reply to an old post, with a question, or they start a brand new thread on a subject that has already been covered (which could be found by searching).
    It's just a pet peeve of mine....that's all.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  16. SdCruizer

SdCruizer Member

so your saying dont search, just post new questions
    wanting to clear this up

17. loquin

loquin Active Member

1. Search, order by date (descending)
    2. If you find a thread, and it's less than a couple of months old, ask there. Keep in mind that the search may return quite a few 'hits' that you should check first.
    3. If you found an older thread, start a new thread, but post the link to the old thread within your question. "Found this thread (http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=36616) that wasn't answered ..... Has anyone found an answer???
    4. If you are the old thread originator, and the old thread has been answered, update it, to let folks know that it was answered, and what the solution was.

18. motorpsycho

no, i'm saying to use the search function.
    then, once you find what you're looking for, check the date of the post.
    the search function is very helpful, and i've used it numerous times with great results.
    If you search and find an old thread that does not give you the answer that you're looking for, then start a new thread and state that you searched but did not find the answer you wanted.

19. loquin

loquin Active Member

Exactly. But, if you found a thread that's close to your needs, but doesn't have an answer, include it's link in your new post, so that not only do folks KNOW that you searched, but in addition, the old thread may have had suggestions that hadn't panned out (and which wouldn't need to be discussed again...)

20. SdCruizer

SdCruizer Member

there was an oldish thread about 9 months old, only one post
    I asked a question and guess what
    the guy posted back forgetting to update the post and even posted pictures that will help my friend do the same thing
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?p=337627#post337627

So sometimes there is a good reason to post in old threads