Digital Speedo/odo

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by PeterG, Jul 23, 2016.

1. PeterG

PeterG New Member

How many of you out there have got a digital bicycle speedo to work with the engine running? Mine doesn't.

Any special steps required?
    What model do you have?
    Is it wired or wireless? Mine's wired.

2. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

If it is the generic wired magnet speedo, I think a lot of folks here have that and it works well. Mine has a +/- 1 mph error when compared to police speed indicators. You gotta get the magnet and receptor as close and flush/parrelel as possible. They work great and the battery last a long time.
  3. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

I have definitely read about this. It's to do with the plug wire being unshielded, IIRC. I think the upgrade wires offered by some/many/all? the reputable companies have the necessary shielding. Do a quick search (in the top right ^^^) with the words "plug wire shielding" and you should find the answer. :)
  4. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

An internal resistor plug will help as well
    FurryOnTheInside likes this.
  5. burrus

burrus New Member

bell.jpg This is the one I have.It works great. No problem with engines. I put one on both bikes. No problems with either one. It's the Bell Console 200. they were like $22 at Wally World. I checked their accuracy against my phone GPS while riding and they were dead on. Really surprising performance from a cheapie wireless from Wally's. Has speedo/odometer/ time/temp and a bunch of other things. Even has a backlight. Sweet.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  6. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

Sounds like your Skyhawk 66cc has a better wire/plug if (as I believe) speedo malfunction is caused by electromagnetic interference. Oh and it works on your 49cc too? Nice. :)
  7. PeterG

PeterG New Member

Mine is a JunSD (whatever that is) seven function bought off Amazon. It's actually a really nice unit. Very disappointed when it dropped its bundle when the engine flashed up.

I wonder if the wireless units cope better with interference.

Burrus, do either of you engines have upgraded plug wires? If so how do get them out of the CDI?
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  8. burrus

burrus New Member

Yes, I upgraded the wire to high performance wire from Advance Auto. (a set of 8 was like $38) I bought the set to use in future builds. They are copper core 7mm and you crimp the cap on yourself. Very good upgrade and they look great. Those kit CDI wires just unscrew from the CDI.(Lefty-Loosey). Might have glue in it so just be patient. You'll see what looks like the tip of a drywall screw protruding out after unscrewing it. Just center the copper on the new wire onto the tip of that screw and plug the cap end onto the plug.

Attached Files:

• bd7.jpg
      File size:
      166.6 KB
  9. PeterG

PeterG New Member

Thanks Burris. Good info. Clearly stated.

10. gary55

gary55 Active Member

I use the cateye velo 7. It is a wired type, and works well with stock and H.P. cdi's. Never had good luck with wireless speedos.
  11. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

An NGK resistor plug like the 7544 (CR7HIX) will help, but personally I can't stand electric of any kind.
    I can't just glance at it and read it!
    Sun glare and a tiny readout don't cut it for me.
    I like the old school mechanical bike dial speedos for ~$25.

That little black box between the speedo and light is a Tach/Hour meter.

When the engine is running it displays the RPM's, when it's off it displays how many hours the engine has been run, darn handy to know when it's time for maintenance.

Just another spiffy device for the handlebars that is not effected by spark EMS, it's only input is a wire wrapped around the spark plug wire ;-}
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  12. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

What make and do you have a supplier for those parts KC?

I use a GPS in my back pocket for speed checks.

I've no experience with RF interference on these bikes, but I do in industry and mobile radios.
    1) Resistor wire and plug are you friends, try them.
    2) Separate the problems as far as possible. Coil on the seat stem, pickup and speedo on the forks.
    3) Shield as much as possible. Wrap your low voltage wires from engine to coil in foil and tape. Same with wired speedo.

This should do it.

13. burrus

burrus New Member

Did you see where my CDI is? You nailed it Steve.
    Hey KC, what make/model/supplier is that tach/hour meter? Very nice.

14. KCvale

The speedo/odo's are common and cheap.

They are set to 26" wheels and no way to re-gear them to anything else so if you have a different size front wheel it's not for you.
    The needle bounces around a little in operation, but sure easier to just glance down and see than anything electronic, especially a cell Phone in your back pocket hehehe ;-}

The Tach/Hour meter is low cost as well <$20.,160_&psc=1&refRID=Q4FPTYKJSGJ7M72VGRWJ

It is 'always on' displaying total hours when the engine is off, RPM's when the engine is on.
    It is settable for both 2 and 4-stroke engines, and not effected by spark plug EMS, it's only input is a single wire wrapped around the plug wire ;-}

Figure the battery will die in about a year, I don't know what you can do after that but I don't see a way to replace the battery, and all the ones I have used still work.

Anyway, it's a nice combo of instruments for <$40 that gives you a lot of info on your handlebars even if you have to replace both every year.
  15. burrus

burrus New Member

Thanks KC,
    I'm happy with the wireless speedo I've got. I do like that tach and hour meter though.
  16. RavenTBK

RavenTBK New Member

Just an update to what KC included.... a bit of poking around on Amazon found the same design tach/hour meter for $2 more that has a replaceable battery. Even so, at $13 vs $15, it might be just as cost effective to throw it away when it dies rather than replace the battery.

When you go to the link, click the "upgraded version".,160_&psc=1&refRID=CNX4V7144HXFAEXH8GYT

Either way, thanks KC for turning me on to this cheap wonder. :D I was about to spend $50 on a Tiny-Tach that is usually used on kitplanes. :)
  17. KCvale

Your welcome bud, I find it useful enough to justify the cost, and when you want to run your engine at or above Red Line, a darn handy readout to have ;-}
  18. Diamond Back

Diamond Back Member

i had the same one but it would act up on me all the time..!!! i read about the wire less ones having problems cause of the bikes electronics,, i returned it and got the $10 dollar cheaper one cause it dont have a backlight and its wired, big deal its a small wire that i hid anyway under my shock boot... for $10 bucks it works great... i also got a $9 dollar tachometer and engine run hour meter off ebay with free shipping and that works great too... its nice to know your speed and rpm...all for $19 dollars,,, i want to get a engine temp gauage,,, any one know where to get one ???? and here is a cool FM radio and MP3 player that reads memory cards for $37 and mounts to my cross bar.. there is a cheaper one with bigger speakers on ebay too,,, its a toss up,,, I like this one cause its all together one piece, but I would have to get the 12 volt generator $25... how does that thing work ??? anyone have one. ?? s-l1600 (12).jpg
  19. Diamond Back

Diamond Back Member

i have the same tach/hour meter $9 off you like it ???? P1010005.JPG
  20. libranskeptic

libranskeptic Member

The caption for the dog shot could be

"Dont even think about touching dads bike, MF"