Digital Speedo/odo

PeterG

Local time
6:42 PM
How many of you out there have got a digital bicycle speedo to work with the engine running? Mine doesn't.

Any special steps required?
What model do you have?
Is it wired or wireless? Mine's wired.

Cheers!

If it is the generic wired magnet speedo, I think a lot of folks here have that and it works well. Mine has a +/- 1 mph error when compared to police speed indicators. You gotta get the magnet and receptor as close and flush/parrelel as possible. They work great and the battery last a long time.

I have definitely read about this. It's to do with the plug wire being unshielded, IIRC. I think the upgrade wires offered by some/many/all? the reputable companies have the necessary shielding. Do a quick search (in the top right ^^^) with the words "plug wire shielding" and you should find the answer. :)

bell.jpg
This is the one I have.It works great. No problem with engines. I put one on both bikes. No problems with either one. It's the Bell Console 200. they were like $22 at Wally World. I checked their accuracy against my phone GPS while riding and they were dead on. Really surprising performance from a cheapie wireless from Wally's. Has speedo/odometer/ time/temp and a bunch of other things. Even has a backlight. Sweet.

Last edited:
View attachment 73020 Tis is the one I have.It works great. No problem with engines. I put one on both bikes. No problems with either one. It's the Bell Console 200. they were like $22 at Wally World. I checked their accuracy against my phone GPS while riding and they were dead on. Really surprising performance from a cheapie wireless from Wally's. Has speedo/odometer/ time/temp and a bunch of other things. Even has a backlight. Sweet.

Sounds like your Skyhawk 66cc has a better wire/plug if (as I believe) speedo malfunction is caused by electromagnetic interference. Oh and it works on your 49cc too? Nice. :)

Mine is a JunSD (whatever that is) seven function bought off Amazon. It's actually a really nice unit. Very disappointed when it dropped its bundle when the engine flashed up.

I wonder if the wireless units cope better with interference.

Burrus, do either of you engines have upgraded plug wires? If so how do get them out of the CDI?

Last edited:
Mine is a JunSD (whatever that is) seven function bought off Amazon. It's actually a really nice unit. Very disappointed when it dropped its bundle when the engine flashed up.

I wonder if the wireless units cope better with interference.

Burrus, do either of you engines have upgraded plug wires? If so how do get them out of the CDI?
Yes, I upgraded the wire to high performance wire from Advance Auto. (a set of 8 was like $38) I bought the set to use in future builds. They are copper core 7mm and you crimp the cap on yourself. Very good upgrade and they look great. Those kit CDI wires just unscrew from the CDI.(Lefty-Loosey). Might have glue in it so just be patient. You'll see what looks like the tip of a drywall screw protruding out after unscrewing it. Just center the copper on the new wire onto the tip of that screw and plug the cap end onto the plug.

Attachments

• bd7.jpg
    bd7.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 148
I use the cateye velo 7. It is a wired type, and works well with stock and H.P. cdi's. Never had good luck with wireless speedos.

Back