Brakes Disc Brakes for a Beach Cruiser?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by awc360, May 3, 2010.

1. awc360

awc360 New Member

Looking for a safer way to stop. I have a Micargi 26" cruiser, what kind of disc brakes can I put on my bike, or even regular style brakes for the rear?

2. T Rock

T Rock New Member

I have the same problem, want to install at least a front disc. I know it will require changing the front hub to one that will accept a disc, I'm searching the web everyday.
  3. metal

metal New Member

There's a website, something like chain gang lowriders, they sell a little bracket that bolts onto your front fork allowing you to mount a disc caliper on there. Then you just need a front rim made for a 160mm disc. I'm getting one, I'll try to remember the website and let you know.
  4. nvrgoingslow

nvrgoingslow New Member
  5. Thatperson

Thatperson Member

6. T Rock

T Rock New Member

Hey thanks Thatperson for the link, they have a bracket that might work, plus lots of cool parts on that web site.
  7. azbill

azbill Active Member

8. happyjourney

happyjourney Member

google is my friend
  9. rkwfxd

rkwfxd New Member

I guess. When I Googled "beach cruiser with disc brakes" the first hit was this thread.
  10. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Same here a couple years later.
    If your macarigi is a Pantera you can put on a front shock fork with disc bosses and get a new front wheel.
  11. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

What i want is an adapter that allows installation of a second Hayes 9" disk rotor and caliper assembly on the right hand side of the front fork.
    Twin 9" front disk rotors would bring stopping power to an adequate level, because a single 9" front rotor and caliper barely does the job.
  12. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

... Until some some skinny front fork bolt on caliper moved and bit into the disc and sent you over the handlebars.

Your bike, do your own thing bud, but they don't go to dual front discs on motorcycles until they hit 1K cc and can go 170 MPH, why you would need them on a MB just seems silly to me is all, and no, I don't know of a bolt on but look for a new front 'dual disc' fork, that would be your best bet which on my quick search is slim to none.
  13. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

This is the reason why i need twin 9" front disk rotors; because a single 9 inch disk rotor and BB7 caliper doesn't do the job adequately and furthermore i can't respect your opinion when it comes to my safety.

Do a Google search for "Mt Baw Baw Hill Climb - March 2013" to read why my requirements necessitate a twin disk rotor setup, but the below photo tells part of the story:

14. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

My preference (if i could get the setup that i want) is to have twin 12" front disk rotors and twin BB7 calipers on each disk rotor.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  15. mclark999

mclark999 New Member

Switch to a hydraulic front brake from Avid and you'll have plenty of stopping power. All those pro mountain bikers can't be wrong.
  16. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

old thread but as it's up here anyway.. dragging your front brake so it's barely braking on long downhills WILL heat the disk. So don't drag the brake: brake when you need to (and can) then let go of the brake, then repeat.
    Better pads will perform better when hot than poor pads.
    Even hydraulic will not give a huge amount of braking power if it's only a 2-pot (one brake pad each side) that's why they made 4-pot, then 6-pot disk brakes for mountainbikes.. then went back to 4-pot because they made better pads and disks.
    I use Hope 2-pot hydraulics on my mountainbike, they're a very old closed system brake not made any more.. a classic in my eyes. Correctly adjusted they work fine and I adjust them while riding to compensate for fluid expansion. Mine are bolted onto the fork with a steel mount, it's just angle iron basically.. have to use that because the fork I have is a very old Marzocchi that I use because I have a love for that particular model with the easily adjusted original open oil bath design.. proper old school MX on my BMX. ;) heheheh :D

Don't know how you'd get a right side brake since the caliper body is made to go on one side and one side only.. it's not symetrical.

but anyway.. old thread.. so how did it work out for you?
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013