Disguising an engine

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by mifletz, Apr 15, 2010.

1. mifletz

mifletz Member

Can one get away with diguising a driven engine with a thin zip-on nylon bag that allows air through?

Or will any impeding at all of the air flow cause damaging overheating?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

uhhh, the bag will melt, and your motor will get too hot and possibly seize up.

3. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Mount a milk crate around it. that should help hide appearance and maintain cooling.

4. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Just curious, why do a lot of people want to hide their engines. Me personally, I like showing off my engine. Let's people know what I can do and what I did with my bike. Even if no one can see a disguised engine, they're still going to hear it and know you have one. Even cops, so if you're legal you have nothing to worry about there.
    Just Curious !

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  5. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

You are so right. I get people so intrigued at both my son's and mine that they want our phone number in case they want one built. I've built one for a guy after he saw mine. "Sweet Home Alabama"...the land of VERY few motorized bike restrictions (only two for me...under 150cc and lights at night)....:D Yes I'm almost sure that you will have an overheating problem. Especially with a rear mounted...I'm sure that these engines are pushing the envelope to start with.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  6. loquin

loquin Active Member

An obvious motor DOES make your bike a better target for thieves, though.

7. professor

professor Active Member

If motorization was legal here, I would not hide anything. You guys who live in less gestapo- oriented states are blessed.

Mifletz- you can use that material (if it doesn't melt from exhaust heat) IF you have a mesh or grid between the material and the engine. It must be spaced out enough to allow air flow around the material.
    Lacking welding skills, you can do the milk crate thing chopping out the bottom. I made a bolt-on grid out of heavy weld filler rod, that captures each side and I tie black shopping bags on.
    After a ride in room temperature weather I took out the oil dipstick and stuck a thermometer in the oil and it stabilized at 180 degrees.
    If you make a visual barrier, do take a temp reading.

8. Hajuu

Hajuu Member

Hehe yeah I get asked about mine probably 3 days a week!

9. loquin

loquin Active Member

For stealth, it probably wouldn't hurt to add some sound absorbent material either, inside the crate. A substantial portion of small engine noise comes from the intake.

Also, ref this thread...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  10. motorpsycho

man..i agree with so many others on the fact that i like to show off the fact that my bike has a motor on it.
    as far as a theif wanting to steal my bike...my bike is never out of my sight. i'm either on my bike, or it's in my garage.
    so may people are worried about getting in trouble....rules were meant to be broken.
    And if that wasn't the case, NONE of us would have put motors on our bikes in the first place.
    why hide something that you've worked so hard on to make work on a bicycle?
    I just don't get it.

11. professor

professor Active Member

Motor, I will try to explain:
    Rules are generally meant to protect people, some rules are stupid, like a stop sign instead of a yield sign. A carryover from the horse and buggy - car hating days.
    There are laws which, when you break them and are caught doing it, can create a lot of wasted money and time. Some of us prefer to avoid all that.
    To not be noticed is the first step in avoiding problems.

12. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

As far as theft, that's what insurance is for. My bike is for pleasure only. It's hardly ever out of site when I'm riding. I might stop and go into a convenience store or something like that. I have never been in a place where I thought I needed to lock it up, but I usually ride with a back pack with 2 chain locks in it in case I feel the need to lock it up. And of course I would chain it to a solid object so someone couldn't throw it into the back of a car or truck and get away in a hurry. Heck, a razor blade to the convertible top on my car would cost a lot more to replace than my bicycle !

13. motorpsycho

so what you're saying is to blow the stop sign because there are no cops around to see you do it?
    "to not be noticed is the first step in avoiding problems."

14. professor

professor Active Member

What I am saying is a motor cover is a first step in not being noticed. Riding like you are on a bicycle, wearing safety gear are other steps.

15. motorpsycho

I understand what you are saying, but i don't understand your thinking.
    I'm so glad that i don't have to worry about this sort of thing, and being paranoid about riding a bike with a motor on it.
    hiding your engine under a cover, will just increase heat, and shorten your engine life.
    Not only that, but on hot days, it will more than likely vapor lock and not run at all. plus, you would have to hide the engine noise and the exhaust noise as well.
    i guess i just don't understand why someone would bother trying to hide their motor.
    If you go through all the trouble to put it on there, and then want to hide it...why did you bother putting it on in the first place?

oh, and if you think the nylon bag idea will work, go for it.
    I give it 10 minutes before it's a melted pile of goo.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  16. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

the flywheel has fins that blow air past the head.
    doesnt look like it can cool to me.

17. professor

professor Active Member

Both you guys are quite wrong about engine heat.
    As long as there is flow, the engine runs no hotter than an unshielded engine. My oil temp after a ride in 72 degree air was 180. Totally acceptable. Your car runs hotter than that.
    Why bother hiding it? Because I want the effect of the engine, not the appearance.
    If I lived out of geatapo land I would let it all hang out!

18. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

yeah,well go put a bag over the radiator in your car and see how hot it gets.

i bet when that robin motor is heated up,you wont hold your hand by the head where the heat comes out for very long.he probably does have enough air flow to be fine but still,the motor WILL run hotter.

19. professor

professor Active Member

Eastwood, you were not listening. I said as long as there is flow (of air) the engine runs no hotter. What part of 180 degrees do you not understand?

20. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

lol.from the looks of the pictures,there is disturbed air flow.that is gonna make it run a little hotter.