disk breaks!!!!!

hheltzer

Local time
3:26 AM
what is the best set of disk breaks i could buy for a motoized bike
? i want the most well made disk breaks that evryone ones? which is the most effeciant? nicest pair that will last a long time? thanks

That would be disk BRAKES, not BREAKS.
if you have disk brakes, and your disk breaks...you are in serious trouble.

My experience is to use the largest and most powerful mechanical disk brake setup availabe: Avid BB7 mechanical brake caliper and a Shimano 8 inch disk rotor, as the metal Shimano uses has good feel and grip.

Nothing else, and i mean, nothing else but disk brakes should be used on a motored bicycle, as they still work perfectly when soaking wet.

Fabian

what about hydrolic disk breaks? hydrolic vs mechanical which is better and why? which would you go with y? advantages, disadvantages?

I just got a used Artek Vigorous caliper and disc hub off Ebay. Took it down to the bike shop to have it put on a new Cranbrook wheel. The guy at the shop said welding the caliper mounting tab on the Huffy fork will weaken the fork. Didnt tell him it was going on a motorised bicycle. I wont go into the long explanation he gave about bike metalurgy but is a Huffy fork that High tech? If a guy was wanting front discs does he need a whole new fork as well? I have no doubt in my welding skills but how much should I pay attention to the guy at the shop? Should I be looking for some sort of fork clamps to mount the caliper?

Last edited:
hello, so i just found out i my bike is not disk compatible, but i found out i could just change the front fork to a disk compatible one and only have disks in the front.. will only disk in the front be ok? will it be unsafe? will it be fine? y or y not?

Hydraulic disc brakes don't allow you to run a dual pull setup.

There is only one size of Avid BB7 mechanical disck brake caliper - you just order the cheapest BB7 caliper you can find, and sell the disk rotor that comes with the caliper, and then order a Shimano 8 inch disk rotor to suit your hub and caliper adaptor to suit your forks.

Fabian

I just got a used Artek Vigorous caliper and disc hub off Ebay. Took it down to the bike shop to have it put on a new Cranbrook wheel. The guy at the shop said welding the caliper mounting tab on the Huffy fork will weaken the fork. Didnt tell him it was going on a motorised bicycle. I wont go into the long explanation he gave about bike metalurgy but is a Huffy fork that High tech? If a guy was wanting front discs does he need a whole new fork as well? I have no doubt in my welding skills but how much should I pay attention to the guy at the shop? Should I be looking for some sort of fork clamps to mount the caliper?

I am no authority on bike disk brakes and mounts, but this makes no sense to me.
ok, if you buy a set of forks that has the caliper mounting bracket already on it, how is that bracket attached to the forks? it's WELDED on.
so, how would welding a bracket to a set of forks that does not have a bracket, weaken them? forks that have the bracket already welded on, did not have that bracket at one time....same as a set of forks that doesn't have a bracket on it.
that makes absolutly no sense to me at all.

Back