Brakes Ditch those caliper brakes.

professor

Local time
1:09 AM
Buzzing along, the light ahead changes and I hit the binders. About a 150 leisurely feet later I stop at the crosswalk. Not good, less than 30 mph to zero in the legnth of my yard.

I have been using a V brake on the front and a caliper out back.

Today I cut some Vs off a curb- sale frame and welded the posts and attached the parts onto my frame.
Went for a ride on wet streets (in and out of the rain) - the bike stops better in the rain than it did dry before.
Rims are alum. (don't know if that matters)

If you can't weld, I think there are some adapters out there to bolt on V brakes.

I have front and rear v brakes on my cruiser, kinda sucks how much i have to pull the front brake lever to top when my pads are like super close to the rim...i suck at adjusting i guess. idk what to adjustt

Professor:
You inspire me to do the same, since I have several V brake set ups in my
big box-o-bike parts .
I've just been concerned that I will have to convert both front and rear to V brakes because I use a dual pull brake handle and I know the cable pull length is longer for v's than my crappy side pulls. I can't mix the two on the same handle.
The v brake adapters from Dan's comp are nice for sure but $25 a piece is pricy for my poor self.

Caferacer:
Here's a great website with lot's of informative bike "how to's "

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html#adj

A good place to start getting your brakes working better is buying some decent brake pads.
You'll be amazed at the difference if you buy some Kool Stop Salmons, I recommended them along with many other members also.
Cleaning your rims thoroughly will also help give the brake shoes more bite.
I use 000 steel wool, or 250 grit sand paper on the braking surface.

Here's a good bike parts site for getting some decent brake pads.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=163&sort=2a&page=1

Make sure to get the correct type of post, threaded or non-threaded for your application.
Once again, the SALMON is the type to get, they are a special compound unlike any others.

V brakes should be able to stop on a dime if you adjust them right, clean the rims, and get good brake shoes.

TIM

...getting your brakes working better is buying some decent brake pads.
You'll be amazed at the difference if you buy some Kool Stop Salmons, I recommended them along with many other members also.

I agree with a/c man wholeheartedly on this. If you have caliper brakes get the Continental Kool Stop brake pads in the Salmon color. These are probably the best pads out there (IMHO). The pads that came with my caliper brakes were junk - they had all the stopping power of a frozen pat of butter. I was debating whether to get a front drum brake but tried these Kool Stops instead. Now I don't need to get rid of my caliper brakes, as these pads offer really good stopping power.

Great info on the pads Kilroy and A/C.
By the way, I use the dual brake lever and used it with the V front and Caliper rear with no problem -as far as lever travel is concerned.
I'll have to spring for some of those kool stop pads next time I order something.
If they work for calipers they should be awesome on Vs.

hi

my current unmotorized bike is a ESPERIA Eagle 20.5 inch frame
it has both vee mounts an a front disk mount on preloaded forks .
since i killed my last rear wheel (motoredbike)i fitted my old bikes disk front wheel to new bike .
im now waitin on sbp parts to motorized my bike :cry:

ohhh with a disk front i can stop better since im addin a motor
brad

The pads that came with my caliper brakes were junk - they had all the stopping power of a frozen pat of butter.

Kilroy, I had some pads like that....think I got them on Ebay. Came from Pennsylvania if I remember correctly....think the guys name was Clif. :devilish:

Oddly enough, the pads with the best friction I ever had came from Wallyworld....the short black ones. Only good for about two stops though. :sick: I'll have to suggest that the LBS starts stocking the salmon jobbies.

The picture by Gearnut didn't show up. I was interested to see what kind it is.

I liked A/c Man's post about sanding the rims a little for traction and using v-brake pads.

By all means, if you can upgrade to v-brakes, it is a great system, esp with long v-brake levers like Avid or similar.

I am currently using a caliper brake on the front, with generic v-brake pads (and coaster brake rear with low pedal gear). It works well, but does require some strong hand effort with the short v-brake lever. It came as a set for $7 (with the stock crappy square pads). I figured I would have upgraded by now, but have put it off because I planned to buy a fork and v-brakes. I don't want to buy another rigid fork, and don't have any welder friends.

BMX Softee brake pads ($3) http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=433581

Large selection of brake pads and small parts http://www.niagaracycle.com/index.php?cPath=93_222

Last edited:
Back